Tour of Myon

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Tour of Myon

Post by Christopher Schröder »

'Wherever would that many people come from?' Lillia asks, upon learning that there is a planet with more than fifty billion inhabitants, 'I think Elegia has something like four hundred thousand people living on it, and that is quite a lot...'

----

"Me? It's a type of drink that can cause confused thinking if you have too much, and the smaller someone is the less they need to drink to cause problems, so it's more problematic for young people. As I am Nacran, I am immune, though. Smoking is not something that I am familiar with, but it involves sticking a tube of some sort with specific plant material inside of it in your mouth and lighting the other end, and then breathing in the smoke, or something like that."

'Why should anybody like to drink a thing like that? It sounds absolutely dreadful!' she asks, perhaps unreasonably aghast, 'nd why should anybody ever like to inhale fumes? That is revolting! If ever we had such things, Olivia's Barrier probably threw them out!' She then scribbles quite furiously, probably writing something very not-culturally-sensitive on the subject.

I have a feeling I've created an obnoxious Elegiac monster....
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I will be Áuchiqayatin Zeránquira Xól Sánapra [ˈɑʊ̯tʃɪqɑˌjatĩŋ tseˈɾɑ̃ŋkiɾɑ ˈʃol ˈsɑːnapɾɑ], a priestess from the small village of Áuchiqaya. She is about 5'3" (an average height for an Eresian woman) and has hazel eyes with epicanthic folds, moderately dark skin, a largeish, pointed nose, thin lips and longish, wavy black hair that is pulled back into three ponytails, stacked vertically. The top parts of her ears are pierced together in such a way that her ears are pointed, held that way by bronze pins. She is about 26 in Earth years, 22 in my conworld's years. She is wearing long linen robes dyed a somewhat faded light blue color (a warning; she is smuggling an obsidian dagger within these robes!) and elaborate sandals laced up to mid-calf with bamboo twine.

You will call her Xól [ˈʃol] (unless you enter a religious center, in which case she will insist that everyone call her Sánapra [ˈsɑːnapɾɑ] until you leave)

"I apologize that I interrupt you," says Xól, looking around the group. "Are you touring here? I came here because of other matters, but this seemed to me a more interesting thing to do."

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 67F/19.4C, Humidity: 80%, Sky: mostly sunny
Inside conditions (bus): Temp: 72F/22C, Humidity: 65%

billion = one thousand million here, just so you know. (Short scale, not long scale)

Astraios: Technically, because this tour is in the spring in universe, and the year is 0150AL due to storyline issues, this tour actually takes place a couple months before the first... Even if that wasn't the case... have you ever tried to build a 3.9km tall skyscraper?

------------------------------------------------

Back before getting on the bus, another individual wearing light blue robes and having a skin color similar to Misa's walks up to the group.

"I apologize that I interrupt you, are you touring here? I came here because of other matters, but this seemed to me a more interesting thing to do."

"Yes, and the tour is just starting. You can join if you want, as long as you don't cause any problems. There is after all, plenty of room." Lyhoko said. "I am Lyhoko Eruf, you are?"

'Wherever would that many people come from? I think Elegia has something like four hundred thousand people living on it, and that is quite a lot...'

"A lot of growth? The Ancaron Empire is over 30 thousand years old..."

'Why should anybody like to drink a thing like that? It sounds absolutely dreadful! And why should anybody ever like to inhale fumes? That is revolting! If ever we had such things, Olivia's Barrier probably threw them out!'

"I don't understand either."

"Is overcrowding problematic for you then? Or is it a big planet?"

Misa is slightly confused at the sudden return to the other conversation, or at least appears to be.

"No, not really, there are a lot of cities, but for the most part they are usually relatively open, having farming areas being hidden out of the way helps a lot."

Lyhoko, overhearing the conversation about population, adds some more information. "Galesfe City has roughly 9.5 million people in the city itself, with nearly 16 million in the entire region, the largest population center in the country."

"Gutalha? What kind of livestock is it? Only species native to this planet, or others too?"

"Gutarxa are quite large, green animals, commonly with brown stripes and a sparse amount of fur, at least the ones around here are. They are roughly the same height as a zuke from the ground to their back, about 8 feet, with a neck of similar length, and a tail of about twice that length. They are native to the planet, and are usually quite docile, as they're big enough they really don't have many predators, and they eat plants. They're mainly raised for food, though not as much as other animals, as they're so big, one gutarxa could feed many people. In the past they were used as draft animals, and in some cases they still are today, though not as often."

"What are they for? Residential, commercial, an attempt at the planet's tallest tower?"

"Lkety Tower is mixed use, while Polarka Tower will mainly be commercial, as well as a subspace transmitter system. And Polarka Tower will be the planet's tallest building as well once its finished, technically it already is. Galesfe City doesn't have much room to spread outwards, due to the ocean and the mountains, so it builds up instead. Or down, in the case of the Ugute'inkka." Lyhoko said.

"We could go to Lkety tower, in order to see the surrounding area better, there is also Galesfe Central Park right next to the hotel. Additionally there is the beach, Granon Hoganxum [ˈgɹanon ˈhoganxum], a forested park along the coast, Mt. Jamig [ˈʤamig], another forested park, this time in the city, the Galesfe City Marine Museum and Aquarium, also on the coast, and the Galesfe City Zoo, located on the east end of the city, and other places. There's also Galesfe Raceway, located to the north in the mountains where hovercars are raced, though there isn't any races scheduled at this time of the year. We don't have the time to visit all of these, especially if we go somewhere else in the city, but we will be able to visit possibly most of these places depending on how long we stay. There will be zoos and beaches in Amiton and Myon City as well, though the beaches there will be on lakes and not the ocean."

The bus continued down the highway and soon reached the M-11R/M-11L interchange, and stayed down in the trees as it turned down a ground level interchange heading south. After a bit the trees along the left side thin out and more suburban areas became visible, as well as the tops of the Lkety and Polarka towers, as well as several other tall buildings. After passing under several overpasses, a large suspension bridge appeared ahead, before immediately disappearing from view as the highway passed though a short tunnel. A second or two later, it reappeared as the bus traveled onto the bridge and the trees stopped lining the roads. Off to the right, several large islands and a bunch of smaller ones were visible as the river opened up into the ocean. Two tall shiny metallic towers, one on each side of the river, were visible on the islands, and several smaller buildings were visible on a couple of the islands closer to shore, as well as in the water on the south side of the river. However, aside from these buildings, the islands were entirely tree-covered. Two boxy towers were also visible to the south of these islands, as was a much sleeker glass and metal tower.

Meanwhile on the other side of the highway, looking over the traffic heading the opposite direction, downtown was clearly visible, at least the towers along the river. One of the two tall spires, Lkety Tower, was visible rising from a small island in the river on the south side, between two more bridges. The other, taller black building (Polarka) was visible rising from center of the skyscraper forest, its slightly rounded top now easily seen as ending abruptly, aside from a single tall column with what looked like a construction crane on top. Of the two bridges, the closest one was another suspension bridge, only with 3 towers instead of two, and the farther one looked similar to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, though with four arch segments instead of one. Most of the riverbank consisted of two levels covered in trees, though a couple of areas, especially around the other two visible bridges, and Lkety Tower, had buildings directly along the shore.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Ah, okay. And, no, actually, I haven't tried - I thought I'd go .1km better. ;)

---

Another short, dark woman wearing light blue robes appears, apologizes for interrupting, and joins herself to the tour group.

"Why should anybody like to drink a thing like that? It sounds absolutely dreadful! And why should anybody ever like to inhale fumes? That is revolting! If ever we had such things, Olivia's Barrier probably threw them out!" exclaims Liliya.

"I don't understand either," Misa agrees.

"It's fun," Saba Aspur explains helpfully. "Alcohol, that is - smoking isn't permitted in Visuhi, though in less-developed countries on Orbi it's still legal."

Back to the subject of population, and Misa says: "No, not really, there are a lot of cities, but for the most part they are usually relatively open, having farming areas being hidden out of the way helps a lot."

"Galesfe City has roughly 9.5 million people in the city itself, with nearly 16 million in the entire region, the largest population center in the country," Liyōko adds.

"How interesting. As a planet, Orbi only has a total population of around 17 billion, but Visuhi's largest city, Ayegakur, has upwards of 30 million inhabitants."

"Lkety Tower is mixed use, while Polarka Tower will mainly be commercial, as well as a subspace transmitter system. And Polarka Tower will be the planet's tallest building as well once its finished, technically it already is. Galesfe City doesn't have much room to spread outwards, due to the ocean and the mountains, so it builds up instead. Or down, in the case of the Ugute'inkka."

"How tall is it exactly? Or rather, how tall is it planned to be? You mentioned that earlier, the-, what was it? The Ugutingka ([ugu'tiŋka])? Is that a sort of nightlife district? How deep does that go?"

"We could go to Lkety tower, in order to see the surrounding area better, there is also Galesfe Central Park right next to the hotel. Additionally there is the beach, Granon Hoganxum, a forested park along the coast, Mt. Jamig, another forested park, this time in the city, the Galesfe City Marine Museum and Aquarium, also on the coast, and the Galesfe City Zoo, located on the east end of the city, and other places. There's also Galesfe Raceway, located to the north in the mountains where hovercars are raced, though there isn't any races scheduled at this time of the year. We don't have the time to visit all of these, especially if we go somewhere else in the city, but we will be able to visit possibly most of these places depending on how long we stay. There will be zoos and beaches in Amiton and Myon City as well, though the beaches there will be on lakes and not the ocean."

"I would love to climb the tower. And if we're deciding what other places to visit, I definitely vote for the beach and one of the forested parks - there's just a different feeling at the ocean that you can't find at a lake. I'm happy to wait until one of the other cities to visit a zoo."

The trees on the opposite side of the bus begin to be replaced by buildings, and then everything blacks out for a second as they pass through a tunnel. Now travelling across a suspension bridge, Saba Aspur has a superb view of several green islands sitting in the wide river. He grabs at his pocket, and takes out a small camera looking rather like a slide-up mobile phone. Holding it up to the window for a second, he presses a button and the image is frozen into the screen. "That's a very pretty view," he says, half to himself.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 69F/20.6C, Humidity: 77%, Sky: mostly sunny

"How tall is it exactly? Or rather, how tall is it planned to be? You mentioned that earlier, the-, what was it? The Ugutingka ([ugu'tiŋka])? Is that a sort of nightlife district? How deep does that go?"

"Polarka tower will be approximately "6180 kesan tall - about 3900 meters or so. The Ugute'inkka [ʔugutɛʔɪnkːa]" Lyhoko said, somewhat slower to note the vowels in the middle being a part of two syllables. "It has around 30 levels or so, some areas have more or less. It is mixed, with some living areas, shops, mechanical areas to help keep the city running, subways, underground roads, farms, nightlife areas, a bunch of different stuff."

"I would love to climb the tower. And if we're deciding what other places to visit, I definitely vote for the beach and one of the forested parks - there's just a different feeling at the ocean that you can't find at a lake. I'm happy to wait until one of the other cities to visit a zoo."

"I'm think about going to the beach first, or at least eat there and then go on a boat while our food digests for a while before going to the beach itself, after that go to the aquarium, as it is nearby. Also it seems the weather won't be quite as good in the evening, and we can visit the aquarium in any weather, unlike most of the other places which requite nice weather. The weather will remain good for the afternoon, though, and it appears tomorrow will be nice as well."

The bus headed though another short tunnel on the other side of the 2km long bridge, and on the other side of the tunnel was much the same as the other side of the river, with housing to the left and forest to the right. The bus then got onto an offramp and the turned left onto a road that went over the highway, into the city. The road was visible for a bit heading west into the forest as well, before it was swallowed by the trees. The bus then headed straight down the road it was on, past first houses, then shops, and slightly larger buildings, gradually getting larger as the city blocks passed by. At one intersection another vehicle that looked like a bus but was missing wheels suddenly passed by overhead, heading north. Not long after this, they reached another tunnel, though some sort of raised park area, after one block or so the tunnel ended, with the right side of the road being marked with the wall to the elevated park, though unlike the starship enclosure walls, this wall was much more eye-pleasing, with stone blocks lined up into patterns and plants growing next to, and in some cases, on the wall. Every so often, a staircase permitted access to the top. On the left side of the road was another park, this time at ground level, with a mix of open grassy areas, trees, flowers, benches, and several old looking stone buildings and a tower or two. After while of this several shops appeared on both sides of the road, along with a gutarxa statue on the left side of the road, but the bus continued straight, and passed though another tunnel. Once the other end of the tunnel was reached and another intersection was passed, the bus turned into a parking lot of a moderately large building.

"Ah, I see we're at the hotel now."
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

"Polarka tower will be approximately "6180 kesan tall - about 3900 meters or so. The Ugute'inkka. It has around 30 levels or so, some areas have more or less. It is mixed, with some living areas, shops, mechanical areas to help keep the city running, subways, underground roads, farms, nightlife areas, a bunch of different stuff."

"Oh, how silly of me. I don't know how long a kesan ([kɛ'san]) or a mita (['mita]) is, and you don't know Orbian measurements. Never mind. The Ugute-Inca ([u'gutɛ'iŋka]) sounds exciting."

At the other end of the bridge the bus passes through another tunnel, then exits the highway. After a third tunnel, past a pleasant-looking park, they appear to be in a shopping district. Yet another tunnel, and the bus comes to a stop in the parking lot outside what is, according to Liyōko, the hotel.

"Liyōko, what is the name of the hotel? It will be useful to know if we get lost or separated from the group."

Carson
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Carson »

If you don't mind another, I'd love to join. This character is, in all honesty, a fairy. The whole species was based around the myths that came out of Britain, Ireland, and Western Europe regarding fey and changelings. They are usually the size of a 7-10 year old child, can be mischievous, and tend to take things at face value. They're animists who are able to use magic. They are capable of flight, which they accomplish with their wings and just a touch of magic. The wings themselves are generally about the height of the individual in length, but can be folded up into a neat package that is not obtrusively large; they can be insect-like, bird-like, or wispy (look like a couple dozen thin, feathered wings). This character's are wispy. Her name is Yoshe [jo'.she]. She is not a linguist, but she is a polyglot; she speaks Faerelo, her L1, another conlang called High Rimean that (so far) has only a script, and now a Muphridian language, apparently.

-------------------------------

Being only an inch over four feet tall had proven a frustratingly effective way to remain inconspicuous in a tour group full of people five feet and more tall. With her wings folded down and covered to avoid smacking people with them, she looked like little more than a child whose parents were indulgent enough to let her color her hair a sea green hue, albeit a child with a long torso and wide shoulders (to accommodate extra bones and muscles for wings which sprouted from a bit below the scapulae) yet otherwise adult proportions of head and body, thin legs with long-toed, bare feet beneath them, delicate musculature, and complete, if small, breasts.

In spite of a childlike appearance, this individual was in fact well over 300 standard earth years, which would be physiologically equivalent to a human’s late thirties. Were it not for the loosely fit clothing she wore in the interest of cultural sensitivity, her apparent age would be more obvious; the clothing also served to help her keep her wings down by covering them—and to make her feel incredibly cramped. At home, most of her kind didn’t wear any clothing at all except when interacting with humans, who seemed to place so much importance on covering themselves that they would imprison one another for not, so wearing anything at all felt strange.

At least the bus was about the right temperature, so she didn’t feel stuffy on top of cramped. She couldn’t wait to stretch her wings, though. When the bus pulled into the parking lot, she spoke for the first time, saying, “Poruigai!” [po'.ɾɯ.i.ga.i] (I am elated) She stood on her seat as the bus halted, almost not hearing Saba Aspur’s question. Anyone watching could see the back of her dress-like white linen clothing move from her wing’s twitching beneath.

She turned to Lyhoko and asked, “Which of the parks are most close?” In so doing, she revealed the main reason she had hitherto been silent: her accent was atrocious; every r was tapped, all short vowels were raised (and the schwa lengthened), and she failed to produce /ð/, instead favoring /θ/. Her accent was always a source of irritation for her when trying to speak human languages. At least her question had been completely mono syllabic and so didn't show the problems she frequently had with stress.
English doesn't "borrow" from other languages. It follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them unconscious and rummages through their clothing looking for loose grammar.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Inside conditions (hotel): Temp: 72F/22C, Humidity: 73%

Translation of: “Which of the parks are most close?” (keeping it all single syllables)
"Hwich av ðiiz fiildz ist niirst?"

(Or "Hwich av ðiiz fiildz ist moost niir?" if you want to keep the most... though this is even weirder, as Myonian doesn't use that word that way. Plus it would normally be "moosta"...)

Correct form: Hwich av ðiiz fiildza ist niirst?

On a side note, Myonian has a pitch accent system in place of stress.

"Oh, how silly of me. I don't know how long a kesan ([kɛ'san]) or a mita (['mita]) is, and you don't know Orbian measurements. Never mind. The Ugute-Inca ([u'gutɛ'iŋka]) sounds exciting."

"Well, I could say that a kesa is about this long." As Lyhoko says this, she holds her hands roughly a kesa apart. "But I don't think that would help much with conversion..."

"Liyōko, what is the name of the hotel? It will be useful to know if we get lost or separated from the group."

"This is the Galesfe Central Park Ciliin. /ˈʦɪ.lɪ.ˈɪn/ Three syllables, not two, remember that. /ˈʦɪ.lin/ most likely would be understood, though." Lyhoko said, speaking to everyone.

“Which of the parks are most close?” another member of the tour said, speaking for the first time with something vaguely similar to a Granaran accent... though which wasn't mangled to bich...

"Galesfe Central Park is nearest, though if you meant the forested parks, then it would be Mt. Jamig, which is just to the southeast of here. Granon Hoganxum is back on the other side of the spaceport from here." Lyhoko said, then she turned to address everyone again. "We have arrived at the hotel, remember to collect your luggage and then bring it up to your room. You won't be able to access it again until tonight, so remember to take everything you need for the afternoon out."

As everyone began leaving the bus, Lyhoko passed out cards that had the name of the hotel on them, as well as a number. "Don't lose these, they are the keys to your hotel room, the number on the card is your room number. All of your rooms are on the third floor, the first floor is the ground floor."

After collecting their luggage -- Misa picked up hers with ease once again -- They entered the hotel. Directly ahead there was the front desk, with what appeared to be a dining area off to the right. While the hotel didn't have a large open atrium, it did have other features for nice looks, such as well placed plants and marble floors. They turned to go down a hallway to the left, where Lyhoko stopped. "The elevator is here" -- she points to a sliding door in the wall with two buttons to the right of it -- "And if you would rather take the stairs, they are there." -- she then points to a more normal looking door on the other side of the hall with a sign showing a depiction of a stairway on it. "I can take your luggage up for you if you want to take the stairs as well. If you do take the stairs, third floor is two above this floor, though there are signs saying which floor you are on in the stairwell. The hotel also has a pool and a gym, both of them are located further down this hall, if you want to use them later tonight."

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Another late joiner if you don’t mind. If it’s okay, I’d play Andala Unarmiamatu Uŋkśasajatna [’ɑ:ndɑlɐ ‚u:nɑr’mjɑ:mɐtɯ ‚u:ŋʃɑs‘ɑ:jɑtnɐ] and Htalui Inðarirtu Ēþarnin [’xtɑ:lwi in’ðɑ:rirtɯ ’ɛːθɑrnɪn], a married couple having decided to do a somewhat different vacation than “the beach”.
Andala is from Baranxiź, the capital and big city and thus relatively used to a cosmopolitan environment and rather open and good-natured about unusual sights. She’s also more talented at languages. She prefers to wear the traditional rolāŋś
[ro’lɒ:ŋʃ] (big cloth), which is similar to a sari, and as is customary, a large amount of gold jewelry (though limited to her facial piercings now – open-minded as she may be, they are in a foreign country!). Height at around 5’8’’.
On the other hand, Htalui is from the rural backwaters of Baranxtu, from Ġatulīr, and a bit of a country bumpkin, or less favourably, a hick. He’s a bit too blunt even by Baranxtuan standards, but not a bad person. He’s wearing the aþruraŋtlāŋś
[‚ɑ:θru’rɑ:ŋtlɒ:ŋʃ] (two colour cloth), which sort of looks like a bathrobe (trousers are suspect!), and lots of silver jewelry.. Height at around 6’2’’.

------------------

The sound of two people arguing draws suddenly closer. The arguing couple pays at first no attention to the group of new arrivals in the lobby, either certain that no one will understand them, or not caring if they do. The woman is speaking in a subdued voice, whereas the man's is loud, deep and rather boisterous. Finally, they come to a halt close to Misa and finally seem to notice the group. The woman holds up her hand and says: "['mɑŋvə]!", sharper and harsher than anything she said before.

"Heeeello," she continues in a much sweeter voice, clear and understandable, although her stress seems rather off. "Excuse me if I interrupt you, but if I heard correctly, I assume you are guiding a tour? My husband here," she gives a curt nod towards the man, "seems to have forgotten to register us for another tour, and now we're here somewhat unprepared. Could we join you? We have," she produces a purse, "of your money."

As if an afterthought, she continues, "Oh, and let me introduce myself, of course. I am Andala Unarmiamatu Uŋkśasajatna." She nudges her husband with her elbow. "['hɑʊnr̩ðən]!"
The man grunts and nods with a smile towards Misa. "Oh yes. I am Htalui Inðarirtu Ēþarnin." From what little he has said, his vowels seem to be all over the place.

Andala rolls her eyes a bit. "So, what are the plans?"
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

What number rooms are we?

---

"This is the Galesfe Central Park Ciliin. Three syllables, not two, remember that. /'ʦɪ.lin/ most likely would be understood, though," says Liyōko to the group at large.

"Cili-In /ʨɪ.lɪ.'ʔɪn/," repeats Saba Aspur, half to himself, as the childlike white-clad woman nearer the front of the bus stood up on her seat and asked the guide a question. He missed what she asked, as he was busy putting away his camera, but then Liyōko's voice came through again.

"We have arrived at the hotel, remember to collect your luggage and then bring it up to your room. You won't be able to access it again until tonight, so remember to take everything you need for the afternoon out."

She hands out keycards and says, "All of your rooms are on the third floor, the first floor is the ground floor."

Saba Aspur heaves his suitcase out of the bus, once more sighing in mild frustration at the ease with which Misa carries her own. Into the hotel, and a pleasant smell of greenery brushes the edge of his senses. Then, two people, who are even more Orbian-looking than Misa and Liyōko, come into sight, arguing. He watches them as they stop near the group, and the woman raises a hand, and shouts a word. Saba Aspur jumps slightly, determining from that bizarrely violent greeting that they can't be Orbian, and then she begins to speak in a more normal voice, introducing herself and her husband.

He decides not to be disturbed by the clearly unequal relationship between the two, and congratulates himself for not attempting to greet them as fellow Orbians with a kiss on the cheek. Andala asks Misa what the group's plans are, and Saba Aspur says with a friendly smile to the man, "Hello. I'm Saba Aspur Duldura. Could you repeat your name? I don't think I heard it properly."

Liyōko turns left down a corridor, and then stops. "The elevator is here, and if you would rather take the stairs, they are there," she says, pointing. "I can take your luggage up for you if you want to take the stairs as well. If you do take the stairs, third floor is two above this floor, though there are signs saying which floor you are on in the stairwell. The hotel also has a pool and a gym, both of them are located further down this hall, if you want to use them later tonight."

"Would you take mine, please? I get nervous in very confined spaces - it's one reason why I don't spacetravel very often," Saba Aspur says.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Rooms:
301: Ihlana Sakuħe
302: Yoshe
303: Saba Aspur Duldura
304: Misa Antacar
306: Lillia Belmont
307: Lyhoko Eruf
309: Áuchiqayatin Zeránquira Xól Sánapra

I think that's everyone...

As for Andala Unarmiamatu Uŋkśasajatna and Htalui Inðarirtu Ēþarnin, I don't know if they already have rooms in the hotel or not.

As they enter the hotel, an arguing couple approaches the group, apparently unaware of their surroundings, before they notice the group.

"[ˈmanvə] ... [təˈvup]?" Misa says, half to herself.

"Heeeello," the woman said. "Excuse me if I interrupt you, but if I heard correctly, I assume you are guiding a tour? My husband here," she gives a curt nod towards the man, "seems to have forgotten to register us for another tour, and now we're here somewhat unprepared. Could we join you? We have," she produces a purse, "of your money."

Shen then says, "Oh, and let me introduce myself, of course. I am Andala Unarmiamatu Uŋkśasajatna." She nudges her husband with her elbow and says something, prompting him to respond. "Oh yes. I am Htalui Inðarirtu Ēþarnin."

"[nin]? [ˈtəninˈet]." Misa says, again half to herself.

"I am Lyhoko Eruf, the tour guide, and yes, you can join, as long as you don't cause any problems. Do you already have rooms here at the hotel?"

"I am Misa Antacar." Misa adds, while bowing.

"So, what are the plans?"

"Right now we are just dropping our luggage off in our hotel rooms, after that we will head to the coast to eat lunch, and go on a tour of the coastline, and then go to the beach once our food has time to digest."

After they reach the stairs/elevator, Saba Aspur says, "Would you take mine, please? I get nervous in very confined spaces - it's one reason why I don't spacetravel very often."

"Yes." She takes the luggage and maneuvers it into the elevator, not appearing to have any problems in moving it.

"Once you're done getting your luggage in place, meet down back in the lobby."

The hotel rooms themselves, once everyone gets up to them, have three rooms, the first being somewhat of a living room, with a TV on the wall, a couch, a coffee table, a chair, a footstool, as well as a regular table with a microwave-type machine, a fridge (which has a system for water and ice, but is otherwise empty), a counter, cabinets, and a sink. A door from there leads off into a bedroom with a bed, large enough for two people to fit comfortably on it, even if both people are 8 feet tall. Additionally, a bedside table with a lamp and a radio alarm clock, another wall mounted TV, as well as a desk are in the room. Both the bedroom and the living room area have windows. From the bedroom there is another door to a bathroom, with a sink, counter space, and a tub/shower.

Misa drops her suitcases off in her room, and after looking around for a bit, she returns to the lobby.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

A short woman with brown hair bows and sais: ""I am Misa Antacar." Andala and Htalui both return the bow by pressing the palms of their hands together and giving a low nod.
Meanwhile, the woman with the hair sparkling blue in the light of the lobby answers Andala: "I am Lyhoko Eruf, the tour guide, and yes, you can join, as long as you don't cause any problems. Do you already have rooms here at the hotel?"

Andala smiles: "Thank you... and yes, our rooms in this hotel are booked and paid. We're on the fourth floor... but we're stranded otherwise... it is too kind of you to let us join, so we thank you very much. ['ljo:kɤ e'ru: ɸ], that was, right? So, what are the plans?"

Lyohko responds: ""Right now we are just dropping our luggage off in our hotel rooms, after that we will head to the coast to eat lunch, and go on a tour of the coastline, and then go to the beach once our food has time to digest."

Andala nods with a friendly smile. "That sounds excellent... we haven't had lunch so far, so we'd be happy to join you right away. And the beach sounds lovely with this weather...!" She cocks her head and starts to play with a strand of her hair.

A young handsome man who is part of the group meanwhile adresses himself to Htalui: "Hello. I'm Saba Aspur Duldura. Could you repeat your name? I don't think I heard it properly."
Htalui repeats the gesture of greeting and bows his head again. "It is Htalui Inðarirtu Ēþarnin, but please, call me [’xtɑ:lwi], or just [xtɑ:l]. My wife Andala and I are pleasing to make your acquaintance."
Andala whispers, "Pleased."
"Pleased, yes." Htalui smiles sheepishly. "Excuse me, there is trouble for me speaking this language."

Andala nods. "I suggest we go freshen up and meet you for the trip to the coast later, yes? We look forward to eat you."
Htalui grins. "With you."
Andala laughs. "Oh yes. With you."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Liyōko takes Saba Aspur's suitcase without the slightest indication of how heavy it is, and takes it into the elevator. An idea suddenly appears in his mind, and he resolves to ask Liyōko about it at lunch.

"It is Htalui Inðarirtu Ēþarnin," says the newly arrived man with a bow. "But please, call me ['xtɑ:lwi], or just [xtɑ:l]. My wife Andala and I are pleasing to make your acquaintance."

His wife corrects him, and he apologizes for his mistake.

"Htaluy [x.'tɑ.luj]? Is that right? And don't worry, I think you speak well. It is a confusing language to learn."

Andala says "I suggest we go freshen up and meet you for the trip to the coast later, yes? We look forward to eat you."

With a grin Htaluy corrects his wife, and Saba Aspur joins in the laughter, saying, "You see, Htaluy? You do speak well. I look forward to eating together as well, and I look especially forward to seeing the beach. I love beaches. I'll see you again in a moment, let me take my belongings to my room."

The doors of the lift close on Liyōko and the braver members of the tour than himself, and Saba Aspur takes the stairs, running lightly up the first two flights, before stopping to catch his breath and walking the rest of the way. Exiting the staircase onto the third floor, he takes his suitcase with a "Thank you" to the tour guide, and looks at the number on his keycard. Room 303 - he finds it quickly, then slips off his sandals just outside and opens the door with his free right hand, and drags his suitcase in behind him, dropping it on the floor with a thump as soon as it's inside.

He looks around the first room, sits on the couch for a couple of seconds, looks inside both the microwave and the fridge, and explores the little cabinets. Disappointingly empty, they don't retain his interest for long, and he goes into the bedroom, leaving his shoulder bag on the couch. He falls headfirst onto the large bed, and it passes his comfort-test easily enough. Rolling off it, he looks out of the window for a moment, then turns to the bathroom. Sticking his head inside, it appears satisfactory, and he goes to his suitcase, removing a pair of fluffy towels. Pulling off his T-shirt and dropping it on the bed, he returns to the bathroom, turns on both taps in the sink, and after determining which is the cold tap, splashes his face and upper body. He shivers from the sudden cold, and splashes his whole head with the hot water as well, before drying his body and sorting out his hair in the mirror.

Holding his T-shirt away from himself so as not to spoil it from his still-wet hair, he rolls up the smaller of the two towels, puts it into his bag, and happily goes back outside carrying the bag and the T-shirt in one hand. He stands on the top of his sandals as he locks the door, then holds onto it for balance as he puts them back on. Taking the stairs two at a time, he arrives back at the lobby, to find Misa already there.

"Hello again," he says, patting his hair to see if it's dry yet. "They're quite nice rooms here, aren't they? Which number are you?"

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

When she enters her room, Lillia takes a quick look about and finds it quite satisfactory, and so takes a moment to make certain everything about her is clean and tidy before proceeding to pull many things out of her bag that are much too large to fit into it. One thing among these is a change of clothes — a respectable dark red blouse which looks rather like something an old woman might wear, and a long, white skirt that reaches to her ankles. Her shoes are plain and still black, and she retains the wide-brimmed hat she wore before. She then takes her bag over her shoulder again, making quite certain to stuff the broom back into it, before she heads down the stairs and back into the lobby in very short order. There, she finds Mijsse and Saba Aspoua (she has decided that the last sound in his name is probably /a/ rather than /l/) already waiting, the latter in a state of half-undress. That did not bother her in the slightest, though it should have very much if Mijsse had been so.

She begins writing something in her book, the first part of which looks like: Wijr sijn gëkemmen en tha Hoteldville Tsillig In... though the rest is very difficult to read, as she is writing quickly and with a small hand.

'I understand we are to visit some sort of beach soon — what manner of coasts have you in this world?' she rather suddenly asks Mijsse, are they quite rocky? or perhaps sandy? or both? or neither?'

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 70F/21C, Humidity: 75%, Sky: mostly sunny

Misa looks around the lobby area of the hotel while the others are still upstairs. Off to the right of the front desk there is another room, open to the entry, with various tables and seating, as well as a counter with various objects on it, including what looks like a coffee machine, but it is currently off. There is a TV in the corner of the room, this one being on, and it is currently showing what seems to be a news report, in Zukish. On the other side of the room from the TV, near the front desk, is a rack of pamphlets describing various destinations in the region, and several not in the region. As Misa walks back over to the front desk, Saba Aspur reappears, not wearing his shirt.

"Hello again, they're quite nice rooms here, aren't they? Which number are you?"

"Three-Zero-Four. The design is a bit different than the standard Ancaron way. Not as much stone, for one, there's stone here but not really in the rooms. Not as much water or wood, either, but it is nice in its own way."

Lillia then comes down wearing something different than what she came in, despite not appearing to have brought anything that she could keep a change of clothes in. Maybe the bag she has is a siqintai... it's a bit of an off shape for one, though. Misa thinks.

She then suddenly asks Misa several questions. "I understand we are to visit some sort of beach soon — what manner of coasts have you in this world? Are they quite rocky? or perhaps sandy? or both? or neither?"

"E? I don't know, I'm not from here, I'm from another planet." Misa replies.

Once everyone has shown up in the lobby, Lyhoko directs them back to the bus. The bus heads back up the same road that it traveled to get to the hotel. Once it reached the overpass at M-11L, instead of getting back on the highway, it continued over it into the forested region, before turning left at an interchange not far into the forest. After a bit the forest was replaced by more single family homes, which were soon replaced by a commercial area, again with moderately sized buildings. Off further to the west 3 towers were occasionally visible behind the other buildings. Two of them appeared to be large green cubes with a blue framework, but due to the distance, their details weren't clear. The third, meanwhile, appeared to be an ordinary skyscraper.

After several minutes, the bus had passed by the three towers, and turned right on another road, heading west. Now that no buildings were blocking the view, the ocean could be seen ahead, as the road steadily headed down over a series of terraces. Off to the right another starship enclosure became visible as the commercial buildings turned back to houses, the one skyscraper could then be seen as apparently being on top of the west end of the enclosure. The other two towers, meanwhile, became more visible and they could be seen to apparently have plants growing inside of them, at least that is what appears to be the case. However, they become mostly hidden from view for a bit as the bus heads down three terraces back to back, with the beach visible directly ahead, along with a waterfront boardwalk type building network. The bus then turns onto a road behind the boardwalk area, then pulls into a parking lot.

"We have arrived, now first, what would like like to eat?" Lyhoko said.

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

'What sorts of meats are eaten here?' Lillia asks upon being asked what she would like to eat, 'I'd fancy some mutton, if there is any, or perhaps roast beef if there isn't.' And then she pauses for a moment, 'are meals included in the tour, or shall we need to pay according to the restaurant's usual procedures?'

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

"What sorts of meats are eaten here? I'd fancy some mutton, if there is any, or perhaps roast beef if there isn't. Are meals included in the tour, or shall we need to pay according to the restaurant's usual procedures?"

"I am not familiar with mutton, but there is beef, also gutarxa, various fish, lizard, and various birds, at least that is some of the more common meats. Meals, as well as transportation, hotel and entry costs to locations are included with the tour, anything extra that you want to buy is separate."

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

'Mutton is meat from a lamb — it's a sort of white, fluffy thing also raised for its wool,' Lillia answers, and then asks 'and what does a Goutarca taste like?'

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Liliya reappears in a fresh outfit, and fires off some questions at Misa, who answers slightly bemusedly, and then everyone else returns. His hair now dry, he puts his T-shirt back on, and eventually they all get on the bus and set off for the beach. Along the way, Saba Aspur sees two enormous green and blue cubes in the distance. "What are those green towers, Liyōko?" he asks.

A few minutes later, the ocean appears and the towers slide out of sight behind the terraced hill. The bus parks, and Liyōko asks what the group wants to eat.

"I wouldn't mind trying gutarka - what about salads? Cheeses?"

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 72F/22C, Humidity: 70%, Sky: mostly sunny
Inside conditions (restaurant): Temp: 72F/22C, Humidity: 70%

If you want, you can make up your own fruits and vegetables (name mangled with your character's accent, basic description, something like that)

"What are those green towers, Liyōko?"

"Farms, not much room around here so they build up, like everyone else. They're also climate controlled, so different crops can be grown here that can't be elsewhere, and without pests."

"Mutton is meat from a lamb — it's a sort of white, fluffy thing also raised for its wool, and what does a Goutarca taste like?"

"I wouldn't mind trying gutarka - what about salads? Cheeses?"

"Oh, that sort of meat isn't commonly eaten here. Gutarxa tastes vaguely like beef, but different. There are plenty of plant based foods as well, pluftagen [ˈpluftagɛn], which are juicy squarish purple fruit; akanen [ˈʔakanɛn], which are a sort of root; lepän [ˈlɛpen], no, lcepän [ˈʟɛpen], which are simply leafy, like lettuce or cabbage; and others. You can get cheese as well, mainly cheese from cows."

After the discussion, Lyhoko leads them out of the bus and into the parking lot and the salty air, then up a short staircase onto the back of the boardwalk, behind the buildings. After a short walk, and passing by a hallway which leads to the front of the boardwalk, though which the ocean was visible, she enters a door below a sign labeled "Kyants Ruum". Inside, the restaurant has various tables scattered about, some larger than others, with several of them already occupied. The building itself was designed to make it look old, with weathered looking wood plank walls, floor and ceiling. On the other side of the building several large windows offered a view of the boardwalk right up on the ocean, a bit off to the right a beach was visible. Several boats could be seen out on the ocean, as well as some people over by the beach if you looked closely.

As they enter, a Zcevinowa (about 6 feet tall, long snake-like body about three times as long as it is high, folded into an S shape, 4 legs, 6 arms, yellow skin with red and orange stripes and other markings) greets them (while turning /s/ and /θ/ into [ʃ], and /ð/ and /z/ into [ʒ]) and directs them over to an open area, while several other people move a couple of tables together so there is enough room.

The menus have pictures of the food described, and include various different meals, including various forms of fish, beef, gutarxa, chicken, as well as various plant based dishes, either separate, or as optional side dishes. Several bread and/or cheese based dishes are listed as appetizers or side dishes. The drinks menu, meanwhile has milk; water; various fruit juices, most of which are native fruits; a drink labeled as suu/sshu, which looks vaguely like tea; as well as beer and ale; as well as something called lii/lhë, which looks somewhat like wine.

Carson
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Carson »

Sorry I posted so slow. Been wrapping up the school semester with house cleaning and such.

-----------------------------------------

Yoshe examined her keycard with some consternation. It had taken a long time for her to learn the counting script used by the humans on her own world--not least because they counted by tens instead of eights (strange creatures). This one, of course, was entirely different and she had no idea how to read the numbers. But, reluctant to communicate more than necessary, she resolved to match the symbols on the card to those on her room.

The sounds of an argument approach, drawing Yoshe's attention from the strange symbols to a couple having a disagreement in their own language. The woman, upon reaching the tour group, introduced herself as [`ɑ:ndɑlɑ ɯ:nɑɾemjɑmɑtɯ ɯ:ŋ:ʃɑs:ɑ:jɑtnɑ] and the male introduced himself as [ʁtɑ:lwi: nθɑ:ɾiɾtɯ `e:θɑɾnin]. Yoshe gave a courteous nod, which humans more frequently responded benignly to than the hand signs she used among her own, but didn't speak up; she was still uncomfortable speaking the local language, and even the new couple's slips didn't make her feel any better.

When introductions were complete, Andala asked, "So, what are the plans?"

"Once you're done getting your luggage in place, meet down back in the lobby," Lyhoko answered. Yoshe followed her into the elevator and up to the third floor. Carefully comparing the symbols on her card to those on every door, she found her room.

From her experience with normal keys, she figured there would be a hole which would fit the card; there was, but she put it in the wrong way before seeing the diagram above the slot. She had nothing to leave in the room, but she took a good look around. She found several dark boxes in the room that puzzled her. The one in the bedroom was glowing red on the front with what looked like variations of the symbols on her card, and the one in the kitchen also had glowing numbers above a series of circles that also had the symbols in them. The window, she found, could be opened enough that she could crawl through, but the lattice screen on the outside of it couldn't be removed; she would have to find another access to the outside later.

Before leaving the room, she peeled off her dress garment, layed it out on the bed, and proceeded with some modifications to it--taking the opportunity to gleefully stretch her wings out. Since she would not be in as cramped a space with so many other people, she thought it would be safe to finally let her wings be loose. On the back of the dress, she pulled loose a string that bound a panel of fabric which ran from the back of her neck to midway down her back. When it was removed, the back of her garment had a large rectangular hole the width of her back, with a strap left going around her neck from the front. She carefully put the dress back on, struggling slightly to get her wings through the hole.

With wings free, Yoshe floated out of her room and back to the elevator then to the lobby. She arrived in the lobby in time to see her tour group boarding the bus again, so she hurried across the lobby into the parking area (shouting an apology over her shoulder to a young couple whose pamphlets were scattered by the air from her wings). She had to drop to the ground and fold her wings down so she could fit through the door.

She really enjoyed the drive. The trees and the ocean of this planet were beautiful and held her captivated for most of the trip. She'd barely noticed on the drive to the hotel due to her discomfort.

The bus finally stopped again and the topic of food came up. Yoshe hadn't realized that, yes, she was hungry. She followed the group into the restaurant on foot, slightly startled by the odd creature at the door. It was unlike any creature she'd ever met.

Yoshe paid no attention to any of the menu items with meat as the main dish. She also paid no attention to the writing next to each picture--she couldn't read it, anyway. A salad finally caught her eye; it had pretty much all of the vegetables Lyhoko had mentioned with some kind of white, crumbly cheese and small seeds, doused in a creamy sauce.

Holding up the menu, Yoshe asked, "Em, [ljo:ko], what is this one called?" With mild embarrassment, she added, "I can not read..."

Some kind of spring salad?
English doesn't "borrow" from other languages. It follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them unconscious and rummages through their clothing looking for loose grammar.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Andala and Htalui returned to their room, now more at ease after they’ve gotten a spot on the tour. After a quick discussion, they both hurried to get a very quick shower done before heading back downstairs. With much growling and a few sky(or rather, ceiling)-wards mutterings about how that just doesn’t feel right, Htalui changed into a pair of light cargo shorts.
"You’re gonna be alright. All the other men around here seem to wear them just fine," said Andala while trying to hide a grin at the highly unusual sight.
It took them a while to get ready, as Andala had to decide on whether to wear her green glass bangles, before finally settling on yes.
Once they’d taken the elevator back down to the lobby to find everybody else waiting already. "Sorry, sorry," Htalui says with a beaming smile and a wave of his hand to Saba Aspur, "but my nose ring had to be adjusted."

On the way to the restaurant, the two remained rather silent, instead taking in the sights and listening to the questions of their fellow travellers.
Once they finally get off the bus, Htalui stretches himself every which way, and then cranes his neck. Andala fidgets with her bangles.
"We have arrived, now first, what would like like to eat?" Lyhoko says.
"I would like some meat, any meat!" Htalui says. "But beef sounds good to me."
"[jɑxnu:ri] (carnivore)!" Andala says. "I’d like to try some local produce, really. If you take all the troubles of farm skyscrapers, I want to taste if that pays off."
As the others also question her about the available foods, Lyhoko answers them: "Oh, that sort of meat isn't commonly eaten here. Gutarxa tastes vaguely like beef, but different. There are plenty of plant based foods as well, pluftagen [ˈpluftagɛn], which are juicy squarish purple fruit; akanen [ˈʔakanɛn], which are a sort of root; lepän [ˈlɛpen], no, lcepän [ˈʟɛpen], which are simply leafy, like lettuce or cabbage; and others. You can get cheese as well, mainly cheese from cows."
"Well, I will try some [‘gu:tɑ:ɣɐ]. And whatever they give with it."
"Oooh, I hope they have some mixed vegetable dish, then."

They enter the restaurant and are lead to their tables by a creature both of them would have described as ‘eldritch’ had Lovecraft existed in Baranxtu, but they manage to keep their faces straight. Instead, they take their seats next to each other, scooting a bit closer than their chairs started out, and begin to study the menus.

Htalui murmurs, partly to the others, partly to himself as he reads. "Hmm, I think I will have the [‘go:røm]-style [‘gu:tɑɣɐ] steak… are those fried [tⁿø:]? Oh wait, it says those are fried [‘ɑ:kɑnɛ̆n]. I’ll try them. And to start the meal, the… [røy̯ns ‘ku:nøno] (how do you pronounce that)? The cheese platter ‘[ɒ:ŋ]-Adesre’?"
"That's ‘south’. It does look good… want to share it?" Andala asks, and then to Lyhoko: "Do they do double dishes here? And well, well… I guess the vegetables will have to wait. That [gɑ’lɛ:sfɛ] fish stew looks delicious, and I’d hope they’d be quite fresh here."
Htalui nods. "I’d be up for sharing it… and look, they seem to have good rye bread, too. And milk… I think it is cow milk, yes? I’ll take a pitcher of that."
Andala is on a different page of the drinks menu, however. "[lə’jo:kɤ], your beer, is it top or bottom fermented? I prefer top fermented ones, wheat one. Is there any brew you can recommend?"
Last edited by MisterBernie on Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Liyōko describes some of the different foods, and then leads the group off the bus. Htaluy stretches and Saba Aspur remembers a question he had meant to ask him earlier, but had forgotten to. "Htaluy, why do you and your wife wear so many piercings? Is it for religious reasons? The Tlahiri /tɬa'hiri/ natives on Orbi used to wear piercings that they would tear out as a sign of mourning, but that was a long time ago. Do you have them in other places as well as in your face?"

Inside the restaurant, they are greeted and directed to their table by an enormously long reptile. Saba Aspur sits next to the short winged creature, whose name he is desperately trying to remember before she speaks to him, and opposite Htaluy, and picks up his menu, trying as he always did to spell out the foreign names. "Is this one gutarka, Liyōko?" he asks, pointing at the correct word. "I think I'm getting faster at your script already."

His left-hand neighbour asks Liyōko the name of a salad, on the page after the one with gutarka, and he turns over his menu to examine the vegetably foods. He picks one with red globular fruit and little blackish bean-looking things on a bed of green leaves, which he surmises must be the gepen ['gɛpɛn] Liyōko mentioned earlier. "I will have this one - is it just called gepen salad? Or does this say 'with'...something? And can I get a bruhtagen ['bɾuhtagɛn] by itself? And this lii ['li:] for a drink."

Once his order has been noted, he turns across the table to Htaluy and Andala. "Htaluy, do you mind if I try a small bite of your gutarka, once it arrives? I'll exchange you some bruhtagen. Oh, and by the way, I noticed you look uncomfortable in shorts - don't worry, they look good on you." He says the last sentence with a grin and a laugh.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

As they stand outside the bus, Saba Aspur turns to Htalui and asks him: "Htaluy, why do you and your wife wear so many piercings? Is it for religious reasons? The Tlahiri /tɬa'hiri/ natives on Orbi used to wear piercings that they would tear out as a sign of mourning, but that was a long time ago. Do you have them in other places as well as in your face?"
At the last part, a broad, devilish grin spreads over Htalui’s face, while Andala lets out a small laugh. "It is simply tradition with us in the south and west, " Htalui answers. "It used to be of more reason, it marked adulthood, and we added more piercings every other year. "
Andala chimes in: "South and west of the Great Lake around which Baranxtu lies, that is. Nowadays, most Baranxtimīn (‘bɑ:rɑnx’ti:my̆n) still get piercings around 15 or 16, but it’s not as significant as even a century ago."
"There are religious pierced ones, though, but they use special shapes. But they are very few… you only have a handful of true ēmandējīa [‘ø:mɑndøjy̆ø]… I mean, [‘ɛːmɑndɛjy̆ɐ] nowadays," Htalui continues. "And as for your last question… well, both of us haved pierced breasts. If you were wondering about, " he makes a somewhat rude downwards gesture, "that is not common, in the south."
"It was done among the earliest settler of our region, though, the Talitrīa [tɑ’li:try̆ɐ]…" Andala adds with a sly smile. "I think they can be happy they did not have your [təʃlɑ’hi:ri]’s custom…"
Htalui winces at the thought of that.

Later, as they are all sitting at the table and deciding on what to order, Saba Aspur addressed Htalui again. "Htaluy, do you mind if I try a small bite of your gutarka, once it arrives? I'll exchange you some bruhtagen. Oh, and by the way, I noticed you look uncomfortable in shorts - don't worry, they look good on you."
Andala tries to hide another grin while Htalui blushes ever so slightly. "Oh, thank you, thanks a lot… it’s just, trousers are really uncommon among regular people where we come from. Only people who work dangerously wear them."
"And the mountainfolk," Andala adds, causing Htalui to blush further.
"Aaaaaanyway, you have a deal there... you meant the [‘plu:ftɑɣɛn], right?"

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

The couple explain their piercings, and Andala adds, smirking, "It was done among the earliest settler of our region, though, the Talitrīa... I think they can be happy they did not have your Taxlahiiri's custom..."

Saba Aspur bursts out laughing and replies, "Yes! They would not have survived a generation had they tried to be like the Tlahiri!"

At the table, Htaluy replies to Saba Aspur with a little blush, and Andala tries unsuccessfully to cover a smile. "Oh, thank you, thanks a lot... it's just, trousers are really uncommon among regular people where we come from. Only people who work dangerously wear them."

Wondering at the blush and Andala's grin, Saba Aspur asks, "Is there a reason not to wear trousers, or is it just the fashion? I read somewhere that one people on Orbi, I forget who, said women shouldn't show their legs even through trousers, because it was considered too sexual. I don't think we ever had such a thing in Visuhi - we have a hot climate, and since we are an archipelago and the sea is never far away, there's simply no point in wearing too many clothes. I would be more comfortable without this." He plucks at his black T-shirt.

Then, intrigued by Htaluy's deepened blush and the not-so-subtle change of subject at his wife's innocent-sounding remark, Saba Aspur replies, with an innocent smile of his own, "Yes, I do mean that, thank you. But who are the mountainfolk, Andala, to make your husband such a delightful colour?"