Vocative kinship terms and titles

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Vocative kinship terms and titles

Post by Mr. Z »

Hebrew:

Brother or Sister: We usually use their given names. I guess some people use nicknames, though none of the siblings I know have nicknames, except for one. And one is enough for giving an example.

Mother and Father:
.אבא, אבא ואמא "aba", means father. אמא, "ima", means mother. In poetry, one can find vocative forms such as "אבי" ("avi", meaning "my father") and "אמי" ("imi", meaning "my mother").

Son and Daughter: Like siblings, parents refer to their children by their first name or their nickname.

Grandmother and Grandfather:
Younger children often use "סבא _" or "סבתא _", ("grandpa _", "grandma _"), where _ is the grandparent's name. Older people (including teenagers, and pretty much everyone older than 10 [this is a quite random number, so don't take it for granted]) generally use just "סבא" and "סבתא" (at least in my experience).

Uncles and Aunts:
Similar to grandparents. They are usually called by their title and first name (דודה _, דוד _) when one is young, and by their first name only when one is not a child (around the same age mentioned in the grandparents part).

Cousins: Like siblings, either first name or nickname.

Religious Leaders: I don't know. I guess Orthodox Jews use "rabbi", but I really don't know. Conservatives Jews don't have religious leaders (at least in my area), and I don't think Reform... whatever they are called in English have those either, based on my logic. Well... I really don't know.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

In Uscaniv:

Grandfather and grandmother: papa and teta
Grandparents: en

Father and mother: apa and ati
Parents: vutam

Brother and sister: ruva and teli
Siblings: teliruva

Husband and wife: remeś and puie
Married opposite-sex couple: puieremeśet

Son and daughter: clan and sec(e)
Offspring: spuri

Niece and nephew: (brother's): ruvafauś and ruvacu
(sister's): telifauś and telicu
Far-offspring: cufauś

Aunt and uncle: enfauś and encu
Also parents: vutarm (or teliruvar vutamnar, siblings of parents)
[related to cu and fauś, with en (grand-parent)

For same-sex pairs of any kind, the suffix -et is used (remeśet - married gay couple, puiet - married lesbian couple, clanet - two brothers). Because there is no pure singular, only the singulo-dual, a word such as en refers to one or two grandparents. In the plural, ern, it refers to more than two grandparents. With the pair-suffix, it means a pair of grandparents: enet.

Some other important words:

epat - related through father's side
hater - related through mother's side
farpana - adopted through marriage (step-)
tuncultiu - adopted through adoption law
amu, amucs - dad, daddy
ari, ativu - mom, mommy
papacs, tetavu - granddad, grandma
ruvacs, telivu - bro, sis

And a prefix:

nei- - -in-law
neipu and neitei - father-in-law and mother-in-law
neiruva and neiteli - brother-in-law and sister-in-law
vec

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

To add to the Mandarin: teachers are given surname + 老师 (teacher), possibly with the title 教授 (professor) as appropriate in a university setting. I also am not so sure on religious leaders, but that leads me to an entirely different thread I will create.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Viktor77 wrote:The natlangs are wonderful, but what about some conlangs now?
In High Eolic, most relations within the nuclear family address each other by their appropriate kinship terms, usually in their vocative form. Female terms often gain a variant of the suffix -i, which marks them out as explicitly female - this is more prominent in personal names, which are for the most part gender neutral, but crops up in the kin term system as well. Some examples:

vartú, varnú (from varán 'father') or atá, atú - dad, father
carli, cári, carú (from carlav 'mother') or amá, amú - mum, mother
pandú, panderú (from pandu 'brother') - brother
urci, urcú, racú (from urcen 'sister') - sister
máni - (little) sister
cati - little brother or sister
cringú, caringú - wife
angú, angerú - husband

Siblings that are of the same gender as the speaker are an exception in that they always address each other by their given names. Similarly, when calling sons or daughters, intra-familial nicknames and given names predominate, but parents very often use the vocatives cambá, cambú (from ca-mbáterú 'my son') for sons, and cacerú, cacirú or lecú, lecerú (from ca-cererú 'my daughter' and le-cererú 'our daughter', respectively).

Further out, vocative reference is exclusively by given name or nickname, although grandparents may be referred to respectfully as lusúrerú 'grandfather' or páyaserú 'old one'.

Yagia
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Yagia »

In Dutch: imo, there are three 'registers' so to say, to adress your mother and father.
moeder and vader are never used in colloquial speech, their use is restricted to formal speech. When one adresses his dad or mum with vader or moeder, there is always a feel of urgency or stress in it; like when talking to your elderly parents to convince them to go looking for a smaller house or hand their savings over for your benefit... it doesn't sound that nice. Little Dutch children say mammie and pappie; when older, they turn to mama and papa, or even more widespread: mam and pap, and these -affective- terms continue to be used by the children even if they are adults themselves. It sounds much the same as 'mum and dad'. Even more colloquial is ma en pa. I'd say 'mam' and 'pap' is more upper-class than ma en pa. There are regional/dialectal preferences btw, like 'ouwe' 'old one' for dad (quite rude, however) and 'moe' for mum.

Parents-in-law are also called pa en ma, as far as I know, it seems to me the use of pa and ma here stresses the less intimate relationship than with one's own parents. This differs between families I suppose.

Brothers and sisters normally call each other by their given names. Given the Dutch fancy for diminutives, broertje and zusje are often used when adressing your brother/sister in an affective way.

Parents call their children by their given names, quite often abbreviated, or nicknames.

Grandchildren call their grandparents opa or oma, and quite often the parents call their own parents by those names if the grandchildren are present.

Uncle is oom and aunt tante. In Dutch there is no difference between cousin, nephew or niece: both are called neef and nicht.
-------
In Vayardese, different words are used for 'child': néfalo refers to a child in general, whereas niva is used for the child in relation to its parents.
The oldest brother of the father is called gadéo, other brothers of mother or father are called diévano; the husband of your father's or mother's sister is a pristédo. Your father's or mother's sister is called déviéna; the wife of your father's or mother's brother is a matia.
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou accronésara! http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Vayardyio

King of My Own Niche
Sanci
Sanci

Post by King of My Own Niche »

I'm an example of some of my patterns falling out of my local dialect (AE)

Siblings: first name generally, although insults are thrown often (jerk, idiot, dork). I'll call my younger brother "scro" or if I'm feeling like affecting a dudebrah accent, "scrah" which I can only assume is short for scrotum. My little sister is "Little Girl" when she's being annoying. Nicknames like "Eebie-sceebie" are only used to annoy.

Parents: Mother and Father are only used jokingly or when being overly-serious. "Mom" and "Dad" when searching or calling for them, "Mama" when talking to her and "Daddy-o" when talking to him. Never (and if it's my mom, never ever) by their first name. They demand their respect. "Parental-units" very, very rarely. Step-parents are called by their first names.

Children: First name, nicknames for affection "Dan the Man", "Noah-boa", "Eebie-Sceebie" or "E-bear", and "Gracie-girl" (from her middle name "Grace") by my parents. First and middle when in trouble: "Daniel Jacob!", "Noah Thomas!" etc. Fredrick when my dad can't remember who he's trying to call, "Dan-El-No-Mir AGGH! FREDRICK!!!"

Grandparents: Memere and Papa for my maternal grandparents, Nana and Papa for my paternal grandparents. Papa (name here) for distinguishing only. Old Papa for my maternal great-grandfather, Great-grandma Arla and Grandpa Les for my maternal great-grandparents (though my mama calls her Memere)

Uncles and Aunts: Uncle/Aunt First-name for all who fall under this category. First cousins once removed rarely (if ever) fall under this. Just First-name if forgetful.

Religious Leaders: Pastor First-name unless commonly referred to as otherwise. For about four years my religious leader was Dad, but that's a special case :P

Teachers: Mr./Ms./Mrs. Last-name, or sometimes just Last-name. Sometimes a nickname is used. Never first name. Ex. Mr. Bergstrom, Bergstrom, Bergie (or Borg-strom, Ice-Berg, Bergie-bits, etc.) but never Rich or Richard.
King of My Own Niche - A domain and demesne, of one and one. And perhaps less than that.

svld
Sanci
Sanci

Post by svld »

Ollock wrote:I also am not so sure on religious leaders, but that leads me to an entirely different thread I will create.
In Taiwan, Buddhist leaders are Dharma name + tittle, Christian leaders are surname + tittle (2nd or 3rd person) or full name + tittle (more formal, 3rd person only), and tittle alone can be used as 2nd person pronoun (generally more familiar than surname + tittle).