resources

The best topics from Languages & Linguistics, kept on a permanent basis.
TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: resources

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

TomHChappell wrote:
finlay wrote:I've always thought that Scots ... also C) makes you look illiterate.
I HATE that attitude.

No dialect "makes you look illiterate". (Or retarded, or uneducated, or any other pejorative.)

Also, that comment doesn't belong in the "resources" thread. It's not about a resource.
COMMENT NAZI
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Any good online resources on Proto-Germanic? I've been trying to make a germlang for a few months now, and I haven't found anything.
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Aiďos wrote:Any good online resources on Proto-Germanic? I've been trying to make a germlang for a few months now, and I haven't found anything.
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/ ... gmc00.html

3rd google hit.

Somewhere on that site is a PDF of Lehmann's draft Proto-Germanic Grammar, which he was unable to finish and publish before his death. You don't get better than that.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Thank you! It has everything I need, and a few things more.
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Aiďos wrote:Any good online resources on Proto-Germanic? I've been trying to make a germlang for a few months now, and I haven't found anything.

3rd google hit.

Somewhere on that site is a PDF of Lehmann's draft Proto-Germanic Grammar, which he was unable to finish and publish before his death. You don't get better than that.
I'm also looking for PG resources, but what I'm specifically looking for is a word list that can fairly easily be converted for processing by a sound change applier. Something like CSV with English glosses or a plain text file without glosses would be excellent.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/

Excellent visual/thematic lexical resource.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

linguofreak wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:

3rd google hit.

I'm also looking for PG resources, but what I'm specifically looking for is a word list that can fairly easily be converted for processing by a sound change applier. Something like CSV with English glosses or a plain text file without glosses would be excellent.
Why not just suck it up and transcribe the headwords from something like Orel's Handbook of Germanic Etymology? It's basically the same process by which I arrived at my dictionary of Gaulish. Takes a while, but worth doing as you end up with exactly what you want.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

PDF of Koranic & Classical Arabic by W.M. Thackston.

Nice reference if you aren't interested in learning Arabic script since it makes liberal use of transliteration. I have a hard copy & love it.
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

http://www.handedict.de/chinesisch_deutsch.php

Chinese for German speakers.

Nice site.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

The Lakota Berenstain Bears. Learn Lakota with cartoons! Yay!

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

TomHChappell wrote:.
Okay seriously, why has THC deleted all his posts?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

He got mad when Salmoneus reprimanded him for saying offensive things about religious people.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Qwynegold, Civil War Bugle, move along please. Resource thread.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Can anyone recommend a good book for learning Dutch that is not TY? I'd love a book in Dutch.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

This is pretty thorough, but pretty much for learning Dutch grammar.

This might be of use also.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote:This is pretty thorough, but pretty much for learning Dutch grammar.

This might be of use also.
Thanks but I know them both. I'd love books.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ouagadougou
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ouagadougou »

Since the Wikipedia link on the Ticuna page is incorrect, I have posted it here; I haven't really looked at the pdf, but I figured this link might be of use: http://www.sil.org/americas/peru/show_work.asp?id=10093

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Does anybody know of a good resource for learning Classical Chinese without presupposing competence in modern Mandarin?

zoqaëski
Sanci
Sanci

Post by zoqaëski »

Cross post from C&C Quickies

Don't know if anyone will find this useful, but I figured I'd share it anyway.

For those of you who use TeX or LaTeX to write your conlang grammars or linguistic papers, I've written a basic index of linguistic abbreviations (based on the Leipzig set IIRC) that's formatted to display in a table-like form that wraps in columns including over page breaks.

You'll probably have to edit it to suit your own needs, I just pulled the code from the appendices in my own grammar, and I think the only extra package it requires is multicol.

The subfiles package is a really neat way of separating a large document into individual files, with the added advantage that you can compile each individual file so that it inherits the preamble of the main file. Note that subfiles is not included in TeXLive (so you'll have to manually install it if you use that environment) but it is included in MiKTeX AFAIK.

https://gist.github.com/1216912

And here's the output: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/875911/conlangs ... ations.pdf

For reference, here's grammar.tex: https://gist.github.com/1218650

The gists on github should remain up indefinitely, but the PDFs are symlinked from my Dropbox account so they may break on occasion. I'll try not to take them down, but as xelatex regenerates them when I run my makefile they might behave a little oddly.
Zoqaëski : /θoˈca.jes.ki/
Last.fm
Twitter

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

dhokarena56 wrote:Does anybody know of a good resource for learning Classical Chinese without presupposing competence in modern Mandarin?
Paul Rozer's A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese is as close as you can get to that. It includes readings in Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Japanese. Names and places are still referred to in their Mando version though. You should definitely get around reading Pulleyblank's Outline of Classical Chinese Grammar as well (Mando readings only). Michael Fuller's An Introduction to Literary Chinese is ok to an extent too... (though using Mando readings only too).

If you want to be a serious learner of Classical Chinese you should eventually gain some competence in Mandarin or Japanese though, mainly because of the dictionaries...
Vardelm wrote:Nice reference if you aren't interested in learning Arabic script since it makes liberal use of transliteration. I have a hard copy & love it.
It blows my mind why you wouldn't want to, if you want to learn about Qur'anic and Classical Arabic. :? (EDIT: I just realized you're the one doing the Khudzul-expansion thing...)

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

http://chinesenotes.com/classical_chinese.php

Some sort of abridged version of Michael Fuller's book, using the same texts and the same structure (actually, the texts are in some other textual variant than the one Fuller used, but same thing, really) — the one who wrote the website just avoids any copyright violation by using his own explanations (much shorter than those of Fuller). I like that he provides translations though (which Fuller doesn't), although on the other hand, he doesn't mention any alternative interpretations of the texts.

(E.g., in 3.b, 其邻人父亦云 could also be "an old man (fǔ) among his neighbours also agreed (literally, 'also said it')". Perhaps even more likely. Why would you talk about "his neighbor's father", when you have talked of no neighbour before? — info provided by users chrix and Jose from chinese-forums.com.)

http://gkarin.com/cikoski/

Cikoski's notes of Classical Chinese vocabulary, a sort of Classical Chinese - English dictionary in the making. Last updated on April 2nd, 2011 as of this post.
Last edited by Ser on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

!!! *jaw drops* THANK YOU!