Tour of Myon

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Tour of Myon

Post by Foolster41 »

Man, I wish I hadn't discovered this so late. Is it alright if I also come in late? So much catching up to do!

"Feel free to use any species, as long as it is reasonably sized compared to a human."
Aww. What, no four story tall dinosours? :D Just kidding. I actually did something like this on another forum (NationStates), and I had a sentiant dinosour visit (Another person's character from their own country). It was... intersting. :P. It was a really fun RP.

Moriel: A human, 5'10". Brown hair. Though a human, he has lived most of his life in Saltha.

Lail: A lizard-folk male. He has green skin and a row of spikes that run the top of his head (as with males of his species) and a tail.

Both hail from the lizard-folk nation of Saltha (My Wiiki), a desert country on a coast. Not a whole lot is known about Saltha culturaly because up to only less than two decades ago Saltha had been strongly isolationist. After a coup de tat ending the reign of their last king (a tyrant named Kakel), the ending of a major war and the establishment of a republic did Saltha officialy open their doors to outsiders.

----

Moriel, and Laila, a lizard-folk man stepped off the plane and looked around. Both wore long sleeveless robes with a long-sleeved robe underneath. moriel's robe being shades of brown and lightbrown underneither, and Lail beingt shades of green. Each also carry a bag. Moriel is additionaly carrying under one arm a hardcover book and a leather bound journal. Tucked over his ear is a pencil. Both seemed awed by their surroundings.

Lail went to one of the walls, and put his hand on it. "Netal." he said. "Cold to ny touch. They have nuch metal to nake duildings with it!"

Moriel nodded. "It's amazing." Then Laila glanced at a clock. "Oh! Gikaine! <It's late!>". They ran to an information desk and found that the tour they were supposed to be with had already left, but they could take a shuttle to the hotel and then a bus to meet up with them at the beach.

They take the bus to the hotel, admiring the tall buildings, made of so much metal. Soon they arrive in their rooms. Both Moriel inspect the frieddge in their rooms, opening it, and marveling at how cold it is. Laila shivers when he opens the freezer compartment. Both also inspect their microwaves, opeing it, and looking inside, and then seeing it's empty closing it, not understanding what the device is for.

Each take quick showers and return to the lobby. Then they hop on a bus and arrive at the boardwalk just before the boat leaves and manages to get on board.
"Whew." Moriel says. "Almost missed you again. Dika esha." "Dika esha" the lizard man says, and both hold their arms out paralel to the ground, palm upwards.
" My name is Moriel." the human says. "And this is Laila.", Moriel motions towards the lizard-man.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

As the boat pulls away from the coastline, rolling gently in the waves, Saba Aspur sighs somewhat pensively as the motion reminds him of his home, thousands of lightyears away. He leans on the railing and looks contemplatively out to the horizon - it seems so distant, yet compared to Orbi it is microscopically close. As they travel further out, the islands they had seen from the bridge earlier come into sight, and the boat guide’s voice intrudes into his thoughts.

Suddenly an enormous starship, black and boxy, breaks through the cloud cover and floats silently down towards the landing site, as though it were unaware of its immense bulk. Saba Aspur leans further over the railing to see it better. "How is it so silent, Liyōko?" he asks. "Boats and cars I understand, but even the passenger ship I arrived in made some noise. Are the flight drives soundproofed?"

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Slowness due to limited time due to internship+an overly long Polyglottal Telephone translation...

How tall is Lail?

------------------------------------------------

Two people suddenly appear and manage to get on the boat just before it leaves, one of them human, the other of an unknown species, though he has some similarity to a Zuke or Muphridian.

"My name is Moriel." the human says. "And this is Laila.", Moriel motions towards the other.

"My name is Lyhoko Eruf, [ˈljoːko eɾˈuf] the tour guide. Hopefully you have already eaten as you did miss lunch, but that seems to be all that you have missed. Have you already gotten to the hotel?"

As the freighter comes in to land, Misa says, "You have quite large starships for the size of your civilization and the others around, just what do they carry?"

"How is it so silent, Liyōko?" Saba Aspur adds. "Boats and cars I understand, but even the passenger ship I arrived in made some noise. Are the flight drives soundproofed?"

"These starships mainly transport bulk goods, such as raw materials for factories, or large finished goods, such as cars, trucks, and sometimes even other starships, at least small ones," Curya replied.

"They also sometimes carry shipments of grain or other food, mainly to places that don't produce much of their own food." Lyhoko added. "They also are capable of carrying liquids as well, and were actually initially made for transporting in water to fill up Amiton Lake."

"Even so, it took several years to completely fill up Amiton Lake, even with techniques to speed up the process. The pods on them are completely modular, and they could simply swap out empty pods for full ones at the filling location, and the other pods would be filled while the ship is in transit." Curya said.

"As for why they are silent, the ships have two sublight drives, one for space, and the other for when the ship is near a planet or other large mass. This system is quite silent, as it operates similarly to a tractor beam, pushing off or pulling on the planet in order to move the ship. As there isn't any significant exhaust from this system, its quite silent, at least here. It does produce some noise, but it's only really noticeable when you are in the part of the ship where the drives are located. The other drive system does make noise, or at least it would if it were used somewhere where there was air to carry the noise." Lyhoko said.

The starship continued to apparently glide down, going slower and slower as it came up over the coast and over the two farming skyscrapers.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

((Oops. Lail is just a little shorter than Moriel, about 5'8".))

"Thankfully we had packed some snacks that we ate that should tide us over to evening meal. And yes, we did get to the hotel and dropped our luggage off. "

Seeing the giant ship, both the human and lizard-folk seemed awed, standing with their mouths open. "Gisher!" Lail proclaimed. Moriel "nodded. Indeed, it is big. I'd never seen anything like it." Moriel turned to the tour guide. "Your country is a maverous place. I was amazed by your buildings made of metal, and their so tall! Where we come from, metal is used to make weapons and tools, but never anything so big. You must have a lot of metal in your country. How do these ships fly like that? what powers it and your facinating veichles, buses I beleive they were called, what- " Lail put a hand on Moriel's shoulder and laughed. Moriel stopped.and blushed. I'm sorry, I'm told I ask too many questions, but as I said, this place is like another world, and I like to learn new things.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 74F/23C, Humidity: 65%, Sky: occasional clouds

How do you pronounce Moriel and Lail?

Both of the new arrivals appear awed at the sight of the starship.

"Gisher!" "nodded. Indeed, it is big. I'd never seen anything like it." Moriel turned towards one of the tour guides. "Your country is a maverous place. I was amazed by your buildings made of metal, and their so tall! Where we come from, metal is used to make weapons and tools, but never anything so big. You must have a lot of metal in your country. How do these ships fly like that? what powers it and your facinating veichles, buses I beleive they were called, what- " Lail put a hand on Moriel's shoulder and laughed. Moriel stopped and blushed. "I'm sorry, I'm told I ask too many questions, but as I said, this place is like another world, and I like to learn new things."

"I can't go into too much detail for various reasons, but I can answer the basics. That is one of the reasons we have these tours." Lyhoko said. "Some of the metal comes from asteroids, some of them have large amounts of metal, and also because mining them doesn't damage the environment in most cases. I already mentioned how the starship fly, one of the drive systems is similar to antigravity or a tractor beam, in deep space they use a sort of thruster to provide propulsion. Starships now largely powered by energy taken from subspace, though they used to be powered by antimatter or large fusion reactors, cars, buses, and other smaller vehicles are normally powered by smaller fusion reactors."

The boat passed by the seawall, and the main docks became easily visible. The cargo ships appeared largely the same as cargo ships on Earth, though the naval vessels were notably different. Most of the ships were relatively small, as well as being quite smooth and dark, though several turrets were visible on them. Two larger ships with a flat top, apparently aircraft carriers, could also be seen docked. They had a single tower on top, but other than that and various small turrets, they shared the smaller ships flat surfaces. Finally, a large ship that looked vaguely like the Yamato had a forest of smaller turrets sprouting from its midsection, with two larger battleship-like turrets behind the bulbous central tower, and one quite large turret on the bow of the ship. The entire dock area was farther away from the tour boat than the coast on the other side of the seawall was, and the cargo and naval areas were visibly separated.

"Over to the right the naval base and cargo port are clearly visible now, meanwhile up ahead on the Yanar River Delta are two of the city shield generators, as well as several other related facilities." Curya said.

The shield generators looked a bit like fat, tapered antennas, a bit of a raised platform under the nearest was just visible above the trees on the island it stood on, several other unidentified buildings and pointy things rose a bit above the outer wall of the platform, but didn't come close to matching the height of the shield generator, which was about as tall as a small skyscraper. The other shield generator was mainly hidden behind the first, and it was noticeably farther away as it was on the far side of the river.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

((Pronounciation: (Too lazy to figure out IPA)
Moriel: (My best guess, it's Hebrew and I don't speak it, I just picked it from a list :P) More-ee-el
Lail: Lay-l
))

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Too lazy to write /mo.ri.el/ and /lail/, for example? :?

--

"Oh, how interesting. Amiton Lake is completely artificial then? And that makes sense. There's a group of scientists and politicians on Orbi who have been pushing for the production of ships which use something like that, but because of the sheer cost of building new factories to replace the old repulsor engine ones, the Supreme Government won't make the change yet. Personally I think it'd be worth the extra cost in the end, because it would be balanced out by the reduction in the need for fuel. Also, if Orbi develops it first, we can then sell it to other planets and put our economy back where it should be."

The boat rounds the seawall, and the naval base and cargo port come into view. Saba Aspur looks with interest at the naval ships. "They don't look very different to Visuhi battleships," he said. "I did my two years' service in the navy, mostly on an aircraft carrier quite similar to those two."

Curya's voice cuts through again from the cabin, and he turns his attention to the shield generators. "You have a citywide shield? Is Miyon at war often, or is it just a precaution?"

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

*pokes apparently dead thread with a stick*

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 74F/23C, Humidity: 64%, Sky: occasional clouds

*The thread growls*

"Oh, how interesting. Amiton Lake is completely artificial then? And that makes sense. There's a group of scientists and politicians on Orbi who have been pushing for the production of ships which use something like that, but because of the sheer cost of building new factories to replace the old repulsor engine ones, the Supreme Government won't make the change yet. Personally I think it'd be worth the extra cost in the end, because it would be balanced out by the reduction in the need for fuel. Also, if Orbi develops it first, we can then sell it to other planets and put our economy back where it should be."

"Yes, Amiton Lake is completely artificial, the region was a desert, now the area around the lake is an effective farming region. Also, I agree with that" Lyhoko said.

"They don't look very different to Visuhi battleships," he said. "I did my two years' service in the navy, mostly on an aircraft carrier quite similar to those two."

"Interesting, I wonder how different they are on the inside."

"The Ancaron haven't had naval warships in quite some time, there's not much need now. And a starship could always stand in for one if you need one." Misa said.

Apparently Curya heard the conversation, as she added, "Myonian starships can float, or even act as submarines if you want them to, though most of the weapons probably aren't designed for that use" Curya said.

"You have a citywide shield? Is Miyon at war often, or is it just a precaution?"

"Myon hasn't been at war here for over a hundred years, so its more of a precaution. It works great to protect against hurricanes, though. If coordinated with other city shields, the shields can also form a planetary shield as well."

The boat continued towards the island the first shield generator was on, and once it passed by a low lying peninsula that marked the end of the ports, it turned to the right, traveling between the various landmasses of the delta, heading towards the mouth of the Yanar River. As it got closer to the mainland, several greenish cylinders became visible in the water around some of the islands.

"Up ahead is the Galesfe City Marine Museum and Aquarium, as well as one of the local fish farms" Curya said.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Fish apears to be of special interest to both Lail and Moriel who seem to perk up their ears (well, at least Moriel who has ears. :D ) at the mention.
"Have nany kinds of fish here? What they taste like? Come from I was, we like fish. Very tasty." Laila said.
Last edited by Foolster41 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

*jumps back in case it bites*

---

"Yes, Amiton Lake is completely artificial, the region was a desert, now the area around the lake is an effective farming region. Also, I agree with that."

"Clever," replies Saba Aspur. "Where did the water in it come from?"

"Interesting, I wonder how different they are on the inside."

"I don't suppose they'd allow a tourist in to find that out. But it would be very interesting to compare them."

Misa says, "The Ancaron haven't had naval warships in quite some time, there's not much need now. And a starship could always stand in for one if you need one."

"Most of our starships are purely space vessels. We do have smaller vehicles that can be used both in space and in atmosphere, but none of them fly in atmosphere as well as aeroplanes that are purpose-built for that."

The boat's tour guide says, "Myonian starships can float, or even act as submarines if you want them to, though most of the weapons probably aren't designed for that use."

Slightly unsure of whether she was responding to him or just mentioning an interesting fact about Myonian starships to the boat at large, he gestures to the cabin and says to Liyōko, "That is another reason we still have naval warships - old-fashioned torpedoes actually work better at sea than modern weapons, because they give off less detectable energy as they travel towards a target."

On the subject of the shield, Liyōko says, "Myon hasn't been at war here for over a hundred years, so it's more of a precaution. It works great to protect against hurricanes, though. If coordinated with other city shields, the shields can also form a planetary shield as well."

"You do have some neat tricks up your sleeves around here," he replies with a laugh. "The only permanent structure in Visuhi that has a shield is the Barisērya [baɾi'sɛ:ɾja] Hospital, and that's only active during wartime. We're officially at war right now, in fact. Lucky me to have been released before it really kicked off. I don't think we bother with technology to prevent hurricanes hitting our islands, because the weather prediction system is accurate enough that we can plan around them."

The tour boat carries on for a while, turning into the delta towards the mouth of the river. The guide in the cabin announced, "Up ahead is the Galesfe City Marine Museum and Aquarium, as well as one of the local fish farms."

"Is fish farms what those green shapes are?" Saba Aspur wondered out loud. "We just use nets."

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

"Clever," replies Saba Aspur. "Where did the water in it come from?"

"Some of it was simply meltwater from the mountains nearby, the rest was water from the Gulf of Granur, at least after the salt was removed." Lyhoko said.

"Most of our starships are purely space vessels. We do have smaller vehicles that can be used both in space and in atmosphere, but none of them fly in atmosphere as well as aeroplanes that are purpose-built for that."

"We have those as well, the smaller ships that is. Speaking of planes, the Ancaron Empire developed them without knowing much of anything about the science of flight. It was known that vupdao [ˈvupdaɔ] can be used to make objects hover or fly, and that devices could be made that used vupdao themselves. These were simply added onto a vehicle, wings were added, and a control system added. Because all the planes that were made were made differently at first, it didn't take long to figure out that some designs were better. It wasn't until the Dratar [dərataɾ] invaded that we learned how planes actually worked the way they did. By then we had planes that were capable of going supersonic and into orbit, at least that was found out during the war with the Dratar, no one knew before then that flight at that speed was even possible, they thought the planes would shake themselves apart." Misa said.

"That is another reason we still have naval warships - old-fashioned torpedoes actually work better at sea than modern weapons, because they give off less detectable energy as they travel towards a target."

"True, though detecting an incoming shot doesn't necessarily mean you can avoid or stop it..." Lyhoko said.

You do have some neat tricks up your sleeves around here," he replies with a laugh. "The only permanent structure in Visuhi that has a shield is the Barisērya [baɾi'sɛ:ɾja] Hospital, and that's only active during wartime. We're officially at war right now, in fact. Lucky me to have been released before it really kicked off. I don't think we bother with technology to prevent hurricanes hitting our islands, because the weather prediction system is accurate enough that we can plan around them."

"War? Oh, my, yes, good to get out. How strong can the hurricanes get on your planet?" Lyhoko asked.

"Have nany kinds of fish here? What they taste like? Come from I was, we like fish. Very tasty." Läl? Morëel? said.

"They taste like... fish? I'm not sure how to describe that. There are quite a bunch of different fish, some more popular than others." Lyhoko said.

"The fish here are spread out depending on whether they are fresh or salt water, with the more fresh water fish being near the river, with the more salt water fish being closer to the ocean. The towers you can see are a somewhat part of the museum and aquarium, they are where there are subs for tours, but for the most part they are for the equipment that keeps the farm running." Curya reported.

As they got closer, underwater fish pens started to become visible. They were mostly enclosed, though netting was visible on their top. In some fish could be seen swimming around if you looked closely, though it was difficult due to the motion of the boat as well as the netting. As they passed though the center of the farming area, the pens bot bigger and more clustered, though there was still gaps for clean water to get into the area.
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

Lillia, who has been making Notes up to the present Moment, suddenly takes Interest in the Conversation again, and asks 'are there no unhealthful Effects associated with Flying at such a Speed?' when she hears of supersonic Flight. She also looks quite surprised at the Mention of Travelling so quickly not shaking things to Pieces.

'And why,' she asks, 'do you not keep your Barrier up always to block out harmful Things from outside?'

She then writes something about the Fish, and says something about a [ˌʀʲe.ʧɛˈtɑː ˈvʲiːʀ ˌsu.daˈvu̯as] whilst writing ...eund gëlisse tha Réchette vijr Soudavoiss.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

(Oops. It was Laila who said that.)

"Want to try I them!"

Moriel laughed, slapping Laila on the back. "My friend is already thinking of dinner. I can't blame him I suppose, considering we missed lunch. We'll survive until then, but I look foreword to it."

"I am amazed at what I have seen here, and moreso hearing the talk about all your countries with shields and ships and space travel, even faster than light! We don't have any of those things."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

"We have those as well, the smaller ships that is. Speaking of planes, the Ancaron Empire developed them without knowing much of anything about the science of flight. It was known that vupdao can be used to make objects hover or fly, and that devices could be made that used vupdao themselves. These were simply added onto a vehicle, wings were added, and a control system added. Because all the planes that were made were made differently at first, it didn't take long to figure out that some designs were better. It wasn't until the Dratar invaded that we learned how planes actually worked the way they did. By then we had planes that were capable of going supersonic and into orbit, at least that was found out during the war with the Dratar, no one knew before then that flight at that speed was even possible, they thought the planes would shake themselves apart," says Misa.

Saba Aspur replies, "Vuptau ['ʋuptau]? What is that?"

"True, though detecting an incoming shot doesn't necessarily mean you can avoid or stop it..." Liyōko says.

"Well, yes. But physical shot is more useful for us at the moment, because the type of energy wave we produce for combat in open air travels too slowly in water to be effective at long distances," he answers.

"War? Oh, my, yes, good to get out. How strong can the hurricanes get on your planet?" she asks.

"Fortunately our islands aren't as prone to hurricanes as some areas, but the last one that got to us was this past summer, and the wind speed just over Visuhi reached 14 kera ['kɛɾa] - strong enough to knock you down if you were outside."

Saba Aspur looks down at the fish pens with mild interest as the boat floats by them, and hides a laugh at Liliya's questions. "I arrived here by flying at a speed far faster than supersonic, and I feel fine. It can be a bit disorientating because the destination always has a different timescale to the one you just left, but that only makes you sleepy for a while and then your body adjusts itself to the new time pattern."
Last edited by Astraios on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Oops, brain fart, it's "vupdao" [ˈvupdaɔ], not bacdao.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Huh? is is Lail or Laila?

Now I have an odd desire to do a tour of the Ancaron Empire or something...

On a side note, bacdao is pretty much ESP and other similar abilities. Not much help in actually moving something, though.

Saba Aspur replies, "Vuptau ['ʋuptau]? What is that?"

"Vupdao is the movement of objects, or the creation of shields, using dao. Telekinesis, more or less, though it can be used by specifically designed equipment as well as people." Misa says.

"Are there no unhealthful Effects associated with Flying at such a Speed?" Lillia asks.

"No, as long as the vehicle in question is well built." Misa replies

"I arrived here by flying at a speed far faster than supersonic, and I feel fine. It can be a bit disorientating because the destination always has a different timescale to the one you just left, but that only makes you sleepy for a while and then your body adjusts itself to the new time pattern."

"Yes, time changes can cause problems, though they normally aren't dangerous, just disorienting." Misa adds.

"And why," she asks, "do you not keep your Barrier up always to block out harmful Things from outside?"

"It can cause problems with stuff that we don't want to block out... like passenger starships to other planets or mining starships. That, and there normally isn't anything threatening around. There are ways of detecting that sort of stuff before it gets here, so that it can be activated before then, though."

"Well, yes. But physical shot is more useful for us at the moment, because the type of energy wave we produce for combat in open air travels too slowly in water to be effective at long distances," Saba says.

"Ah," Lyhoko says.

"Fortunately our islands aren't as prone to hurricanes as some areas, but the last one that got to us was this past summer, and the wind speed just over Visuhi reached 14 kera ['kɛɾa] - strong enough to knock you down if you were outside." Saba says.

"I'm not familiar with your system of measurements... about how fast would the speed of sound or some other relatively easy to describe thing be in kera? Strong enough to knock you down could be any sort of wind speed, and it depends on the person. The first hurricane that hit Myon wasn't all that strong when it hit the country, however considering the first part of Myon that it hit was Amiton, it was decided that caution was needed. Some hurricanes have had recorded sustained wind speeds of around 150 kesa per ceekand or so, a bit over a quarter of the speed of sound. Most of those end up hitting the coastal deserts on the southern continent, though." Lyhoko replies.

"Want to try I them!"

Moriel laughed, slapping Laila on the back. "My friend is already thinking of dinner. I can't blame him I suppose, considering we missed lunch. We'll survive until then, but I look foreword to it."

"You probably could get snacks at the beach if you're hungry enough." Lyhoko sais.

"I am amazed at what I have seen here, and moreso hearing the talk about all your countries with shields and ships and space travel, even faster than light! We don't have any of those things."

"There is quite a bit of variety in terms of technology among those here" Misa replies.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

"Vupdao is the movement of objects, or the creation of shields, using dao. Telekinesis, more or less, though it can be used by specifically designed equipment as well as people," Misa says.

Saba Aspur stares at her for a moment. "You can do telekinesis? It's considered impossible by our best neuroscientists. How do you do it?"

"I'm not familiar with your system of measurements... about how fast would the speed of sound or some other relatively easy to describe thing be in kera? Strong enough to knock you down could be any sort of wind speed, and it depends on the person. The first hurricane that hit Myon wasn't all that strong when it hit the country, however considering the first part of Myon that it hit was Amiton, it was decided that caution was needed. Some hurricanes have had recorded sustained wind speeds of around 150 kesa per ceekand or so, a bit over a quarter of the speed of sound. Most of those end up hitting the coastal deserts on the southern continent, though."

"The speed of sound is around 54 kera on Orbi. It's probably a similar speed here too."

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

((It's supposed to be Laila, (-a=masculine) apparently I'm sometimes forgetting that one letter. :P ))

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

"You can do telekinesis? It's considered impossible by our best neuroscientists. How do you do it?"

"It requires daoduan [daɔˈdwan] which everyone has, or as far as the Ancaron know, everyone has, as well as a body that has evolved in such a way that it can control dao. This second part seems to be quite rare, I only know of four planets where it evolved naturally. One of them is this one that we're on, another is the Ancaron's -- and my -- homeworld, the other two are other planets in the Ancaron Empire. Though the type that evolved here seems to be just a form of cuvdao ['kuvdaɔ] only. Different abilities take different evolutions, and with some, like the Ancaron's, not everyone has the same powers." Misa said. She then pulled the magazine she had been reading back at the spaceport out from somewhere, probably a pocket, held it in front of her, and then let go. The magazine, instead of falling, simply floated for a bit, then opened and closed itself, before rolling itself up, after which Misa snatched it out of midair and put it away.

"The speed of sound is around 54 kera on Orbi. It's probably a similar speed here too."

"So 14 kera is in the neighborhood of 150 kesa/ceekand or so."

The boat soon made its way into the Yanar River and headed out into the middle of the river and then began to turn to head back to the ocean, this time by following the last little bit of the river, rather than though the islands.

"Back off to the right and behind the boat is downtown Galesfe City, the Lkety Tower being one of the more notable buildings in the area, located right on the coast on its own island." Curya said

It's a bit farther upstream from where they are, past the M-11L bridge

"Up ahead you can get a better look at both of the shield generators here, or at least as good a look as you can."

The second shield generator looked pretty much just like the first one did. As they passed by the shield generators and the islands that they are on, a short peninsula not far past the islands became visible off to the right, as well as a more substantial looking peninsula farther off behind it.

"Off to the right is the location of the Galesfe City Spaceport, it can't be seen all that well from this angle though." Curya said. Sure enough, the top of one of the starship enclosures was just visible, but other than that, there wasn't much to see due to the coastal plant life.

"Granon Hoganxum can be seen a bit better from here, however, due to the hills."

The area of Granon Hoganxum seemed to be just forested hills, though on some small cliffs overlooking the sea, viewing platforms could be seen if you looked close enough. (Or used binoculars)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

"It requires daoduan which everyone has, or as far as the Ancaron know, everyone has, as well as a body that has evolved in such a way that it can control dao. This second part seems to quite rare, I only know of four planets where it evolved naturally. One of them is this one that we’re on, another is the Ancaron’s -- and my -- homeworld, the other two are other planets in the Ancaron Empire. Though the type that evolved here seems to be just a form of cuvdao only. Different abilities take different evolutions, and with some, like the Ancaron’s, not everyone has the same powers."

Misa then pulls out a magazine, and holds it in front of her. She takes her hand away, and to Saba Aspur's complete astonishment, it floats. His jaw drops in shock as it opens and closes and rolls itself up. As she puts it away, he says, "Wow. Tha-, that's unbelievable. What is dau ['dau]? Do I have it? How do you control it? Do you learn, or is it innate? Is-," he trails off, and shakes his head. "Sorry. It just seems so fantastical to me."

The boat continues a little way upriver, before turning and crossing the current to ferry them back towards the sea, on the other side of the river. Saba Aspur takes some time to recover from Misa's apparently magical powers, and looks out at the scenery, half-listening to the boat's guide.

"Granon Hoganxum can be seen a bit better from here, however, due to the hills."

He looks at the trees and the hills for a moment, then turns to Liyōko and asks, pointing, "Didn't you say that's where we would go later?"

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 75F/24C, Humidity: 64%, Sky: occasional clouds

"Wow. Tha-, that's unbelievable. What is dau ['dau]? Do I have it? How do you control it? Do you learn, or is it innate? Is-," Saba says, before shaking his head. "Sorry. It just seems so fantastical to me."

"As far as I can tell, you don't have the ability to control it yourself, but you could use something that would control it for you. Everyone who has daoduan, which would probably be everyone, has the potential to use several specific dao abilities, usually 2 or 3, even if their body can't control it. There are 7 types, at least that the Ancaron know of, being vupdao, which I already mentioned; cuvdao [ˈkuvdaɔ], control over fire or heat; pindao [ˈpindaɔ], being control over electro-magnetism; daidao[daɪˈdaɔ], or healing ability, which sounds odd in this language...; bacdao [ˈbakdaɔ], or ESP; tovdao [ˈtovdaɔ], or telepathy; and civdao [ˈkivdaɔ], or precognition, though that one's a bit imprecise. These abilities could then be used if you used a device like I mentioned. Some such devices could also give you additional dao abilities that you didin't already have, as well. It normally takes a couple years to learn how, though it is easier for Nacran to learn, and most of that is training to learn how to use it effectively, rather than simply how to control it at all. It is relatively easy to learn basic stuff though, and using one of the things that can control it for you is also easy, though you wouldn't learn how to control it yourself if you did it that way. Technically, I, or at least my body, could be used as such for you, though that would be a bit awkward..." Misa said. "Sorry if that was a bit much."

"Didn't you say that's where we would go later?"

"I don't remember saying so, it was mentioned as a possible destination, but I don't remember saying where exactly we would go tomorrow, just today. We can go there if you want though."

The boat turned back to the south after it got clear of the islands, and then one of the Concorde-looking planes took off from the runway at the spaceport. It made some noise, but surprisingly not all that much as it gently climbed into the sky. The massive cargo starship, meanwhile, had finished landing by now, its massive bulk making a new skyscraper in the region behind the naval base.

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:"Wow. Tha-, that's unbelievable. What is dau ['dau]? Do I have it? How do you control it? Do you learn, or is it innate? Is-," Saba says, before shaking his head. "Sorry. It just seems so fantastical to me."

"As far as I can tell, you don't have the ability to control it yourself, but you could use something that would control it for you. Everyone who has daoduan, which would probably be everyone, has the potential to use several specific dao abilities, usually 2 or 3, even if their body can't control it. There are 7 types, at least that the Ancaron know of, being vupdao, which I already mentioned; cuvdao [ˈkuvdaɔ], control over fire or heat; pindao [ˈpindaɔ], being control over electro-magnetism; daidao[daɪˈdaɔ], or healing ability, which sounds odd in this language...; bacdao [ˈbakdaɔ], or ESP; tovdao [ˈtovdaɔ], or telepathy; and civdao [ˈkivdaɔ], or precognition, though that one's a bit imprecise. These abilities could then be used if you used a device like I mentioned. Some such devices could also give you additional dao abilities that you didin't already have, as well. It normally takes a couple years to learn how, though it is easier for Nacran to learn, and most of that is training to learn how to use it effectively, rather than simply how to control it at all. It is relatively easy to learn basic stuff though, and using one of the things that can control it for you is also easy, though you wouldn't learn how to control it yourself if you did it that way. Technically, I, or at least my body, could be used as such for you, though that would be a bit awkward..." Misa said. "Sorry if that was a bit much."
'Sorcellerie [sɔʀˌsɛ.leˈʀʲiː] works very strangely here indeed,' Lillia says, 'and why the need to call it such Things as Couvdaot [ˌkuv.daˈœu] and Pijndaot [ˌpin.daˈœu] — is it not all of the same Sort of Thing? And why is a Device necessary to control it? Also, how is it possible without Words? I should need to tell it what to do.'
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

"That really is astonishing," he says to Misa, and shakes his head in wonder as Liliya speaks. "You can do this dau ['dau] thing too?" he asks her.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Current conditions: Temp: 75F/24C, Humidity: 64%, Sky: partly cloudy

"That really is astonishing," Saba says to Misa.

"Sorcellerie [sɔʀˌsɛ.leˈʀʲiː] works very strangely here indeed," Lillia says, "and why the need to call it such Things as Couvdaot [ˌkuv.daˈœu] and Pijndaot [ˌpin.daˈœu] — is it not all of the same Sort of Thing? And why is a Device necessary to control it? Also, how is it possible without Words? I should need to tell it what to do."

"Dao is the basic term, though while it in general is the same sort of thing, it is split into sections based on what it does, and also because without help, people are only able to make use of a couple of the sections, two or three of them is the average. One only needs to use a device to control it if one don't have the ability to naturally control the type of dao you want to control. And I don't understand why one would need to speak in order to use it, as far as I know one just needs to think about using it to use it..." Misa said, and lazily slapped at a random bug of some sort that was flying around. The bug went off towards the front of the boat and disappeared from view.

After a little while, the boat made its way back past the seaport and naval base and docked back where it started. The clouds were noticeably more numerous now than when the trip started, but there still was plenty of blue sky visible.

"Is everyone ready to go to the beach?" Lyhoko asked as they got off of the boat.