[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - What are you reading, watching and listening to?

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:38 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Listening:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:33 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:01 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Listening to by Animal Collective and reading The Sun Also Rises. Like some sort of hipster.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm reading Thief of Time (Terry Pratchett). I also just found out that I have Genesis music on my computer, so I'm listening to it now.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Still working my way through the dense pages of Das Kapital and listening to some songs by Chumbawamba, just going through the Youtube search results.

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Just finished listening to two versions of "Bobby's Girl", a song which is older than almost everyone on this board, and The Clique's original of "Superman", which is a year or so older than me.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:01 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I'm reading Murakami's Wind-up Bird Chronicle, which I'm very glad I finally started after getting it for Christmas. I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow's episodes of Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara. As for listening, I've been getting into recently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I'm currently re-reading Derek Bickerton's "Bastard tongues". Still not sure about the theory, but it's a good source of "what to put in a conlang" ideas. It's also a good read as a biography.

Not watching much at the moment, don't know why.

I'm listening a lot to Frank Turner. He's kind of folk-punk with intelligent, direct lyrics and he's a discovery of my son's. Here's Turner and band with "Photosynthesis", a song about getting old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMVHhxTtLc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I'm finally getting around to reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. This might take a while.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:07 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

My copy of Against Peace and Freedom came today, so.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:38 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Watching: Old videos of British and French game shows on YouTube.
Reading: Short stories of my own to review and correct and trying to find a way to procure the next Clive Barker book coming out in a few weeks.
Listening to: An old Opeth album, Damnation. Despite the title, and the fact that the band is heavy/death metal, it's very soothing with no growling or screeching guitars.

In search of subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:21 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

A professor here said in a speech yesterday that college students these days have never heard of Frank Zappa, so of course that's about all I've been listening to since then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:27 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Reading: John Keay, China: A History
Watching: Torchwood, Doctor Who

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:28 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Reading: Ferdinand von Schirach,¹ Der Fall Collini
Studying: Hartmann von Aue, Iwein and faked orality in it
Listening: Oceansize
Watching: —

¹) Yes, great-son of Baldur von Schirach of Nazi fame. FvS got some fame as a trial lawyer and has taken to write crime stories in the past couple of years, using his experiences with culprits as a background. They're neither whodunnits nor thrillers, though, but mostly about how people came to commit murder, especially those that aren't clichéd criminals. It's more in the vein of 18th century Pitaval stories, though without the wagging finger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:41 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Reading: The Silmarillion, Tolkien
Watching: Epic Meal Time on youtube
Listening: Myself trying to trill an r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Reading: A Storm of Swords. 2: Blood and Gold.
Watching: How time passes.
Listening: .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:45 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Reading: I'd say my textbooks to seem like a nice little college student, but I'd be lying.
Listening to:
Watching: The miraculous and completely unexpected showers that we've been longing for too long here in Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I'm listenin' to "Crunk Juice" by Lil John. BE REAL NIGGAS!!!!! :D

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:46 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I just finished .
Very interesting from a conworlding and conculturing PoV (as are all of China Miéville's books).
Also, very interesting to conlangers, IMO; though he doesn't actually develop the Language that's so crucial to the story, what he says about it is very interesting.

Before that I read .
It introduces the term "palilithic", where "pali-" means "twice" or "second" or "again".
The conworlding PoD is that some area (about the size of two states) of the central United States is infested (? right word?) by "bugs", robotic alien "life"-forms that eat all metal. People continue to live in that area but do without electricity or metal.
It's not exactly "steampunk" and not exactly "dieselpunk". But it's quite interesting, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next