What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to?

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

dhokarena56 wrote:I found out about a series made about five years ago called The Future is Wild. How good is it as entertainment? I know it isn't good science, but I find things like that fascinating.
I really liked it when it was on. Even better is this book.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:
dhokarena56 wrote:I found out about a series made about five years ago called The Future is Wild. How good is it as entertainment? I know it isn't good science, but I find things like that fascinating.
I really liked it when it was on. Even better is this book.
Word. :hugs his copy:
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I'm reading:
Tara Gilesbie wrote: Draco leaned in extra-close and I looked into his gothic red eyes (he was wearing color contacts) which revealed so much depressing sorrow and evilness and then suddenly I didn’t feel mad anymore.

And then…………… suddenly just as I Draco kissed me passionately. Draco climbed on top of me and we started to make out keenly against a tree. He took of my top and I took of his clothes. I even took of my bra. Then he put his thingie into my you-know-what and we did it for the first time.

“Oh! Oh! Oh! ” I screamed. I was beginning to get an orgasm. We started to kiss everywhere and my pale body became all warm. And then….

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU MOTHERFUKERS!”

It was…………………………………………………….Dumbledore!

Dumbledore made and Draco and I follow him. He kept shouting at us angrily.

“You ludacris fools!” he shouted.

I started to cry tears of blood down my pallid face. Draco comforted me. When we went back to the castle Dumbledore took us to Professor Snape and Professor McGonagall who were both looking very angry.

“They were having sexual intercourse in the Forbidden Forest!” he yelled in a furious voice.

“Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?” asked Professor McGonagall.

I was really scared about Vlodemort all day. I was even upset went to rehearsals with my gothic metal band Bloody Gothic Rose 666. I am the lead singer of it and I play guitar. People say that we sound like a cross between GC, Slipknot and MCR. The other people in the band are B’loody Mary, Vampire, Draco, Ron (although we call him Diabolo now. He has black hair now with blue streaks in it.) and Hargrid. Only today Draco and Vampire were depressed so they weren’t coming and we wrote songs instead. I knew Draco was probably slitting his wrists (he wouldn’t die because he was a vampire too and the only way you can kill a vampire is with a c-r-o-s-s (there’s no way I’m writing that) or a steak) and Vampire was probably watching a depressing movie like The Corpse Bride. I put on a black leather shirt that showed off my boobs and tiny matching miniskirt that said Simple Plan on the butt. You might think I’m a slut but I’m really not.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sal thinks this is offensive.

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tron cat
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tron cat »

Listening to Hollinndagain by Animal Collective and reading The Sun Also Rises. Like some sort of hipster.
formerly known as weldingfish

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I'm reading Thief of Time (Terry Pratchett). I also just found out that I have Genesis music on my computer, so I'm listening to it now.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Still working my way through the dense pages of Das Kapital and listening to some songs by Chumbawamba, just going through the Youtube search results.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Just finished listening to two versions of "Bobby's Girl", a song which is older than almost everyone on this board, and The Clique's original of "Superman", which is a year or so older than me.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

I'm reading Murakami's Wind-up Bird Chronicle, which I'm very glad I finally started after getting it for Christmas. I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow's episodes of Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara. As for listening, I've been getting into Baths recently.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I'm currently re-reading Derek Bickerton's "Bastard tongues". Still not sure about the theory, but it's a good source of "what to put in a conlang" ideas. It's also a good read as a biography.

Not watching much at the moment, don't know why.

I'm listening a lot to Frank Turner. He's kind of folk-punk with intelligent, direct lyrics and he's a discovery of my son's. Here's Turner and band with "Photosynthesis", a song about getting old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMVHhxTtLc

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

I'm finally getting around to reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. This might take a while.
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

My copy of Against Peace and Freedom came today, so.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Watching: Old videos of British and French game shows on YouTube.
Reading: Short stories of my own to review and correct and trying to find a way to procure the next Clive Barker book coming out in a few weeks.
Listening to: An old Opeth album, Damnation. Despite the title, and the fact that the band is heavy/death metal, it's very soothing with no growling or screeching guitars.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

A professor here said in a speech yesterday that college students these days have never heard of Frank Zappa, so of course that's about all I've been listening to since then.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

Reading: John Keay, China: A History
Watching: Torchwood, Doctor Who

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Reading: Ferdinand von Schirach,¹ Der Fall Collini
Studying: Hartmann von Aue, Iwein and faked orality in it
Listening: Oceansize
Watching: —

¹) Yes, great-son of Baldur von Schirach of Nazi fame. FvS got some fame as a trial lawyer and has taken to write crime stories in the past couple of years, using his experiences with culprits as a background. They're neither whodunnits nor thrillers, though, but mostly about how people came to commit murder, especially those that aren't clichéd criminals. It's more in the vein of 18th century Pitaval stories, though without the wagging finger.

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Reading: The Silmarillion, Tolkien
Watching: Epic Meal Time on youtube
Listening: Myself trying to trill an r
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Reading: A Storm of Swords. 2: Blood and Gold.
Watching: How time passes.
Listening: LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem ft. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

lctrgzmn
Sanci
Sanci

Post by lctrgzmn »

Reading: I'd say my textbooks to seem like a nice little college student, but I'd be lying.
Listening to: El Cristo del perdón - Klaus & Kinski
Watching: The miraculous and completely unexpected showers that we've been longing for too long here in Texas.

Amuere
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Amuere »

I'm listenin' to "Crunk Juice" by Lil John. BE REAL NIGGAS!!!!! :D
Tjalehu ge frulehu, tjea ale stjindamihu? Dime sfraiaknanmi.

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

I just finished "Embassytown" by China Miéville.
Very interesting from a conworlding and conculturing PoV (as are all of China Miéville's books).
Also, very interesting to conlangers, IMO; though he doesn't actually develop the Language that's so crucial to the story, what he says about it is very interesting.

Before that I read "Seventh Sigma" by Steven Gould.
It introduces the term "palilithic", where "pali-" means "twice" or "second" or "again".
The conworlding PoD is that some area (about the size of two states) of the central United States is infested (? right word?) by "bugs", robotic alien "life"-forms that eat all metal. People continue to live in that area but do without electricity or metal.
It's not exactly "steampunk" and not exactly "dieselpunk". But it's quite interesting, IMO.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

TomHChappell wrote:I just finished "Embassytown" by China Miéville.
Very interesting from a conworlding and conculturing PoV (as are all of China Miéville's books).
Also, very interesting to conlangers, IMO; though he doesn't actually develop the Language that's so crucial to the story, what he says about it is very interesting.
Ooh, I stopped caring after seeing Un Lun Dun, thanks for reminding me he's still writing.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Bob Johnson wrote:Ooh, I stopped caring after seeing Un Lun Dun, thanks for reminding me he's still writing.
"Un Lun Dun"'s for kids. Maybe that's why you didn't like it.
"Perdido Street Station", "The Scar", and "The Iron Council" are all about New Crobuzon. I liked all of them but maybe three New Crobuzon novels (all in the same conworld) is too many for some people.
"Embassytown" is Sci.Fi.
"King Rat" and "The City And The City" are all nearly-real-world fantasy. IMO "King Rat" reads like the first novel it is. Still way the hell better than many people's first novels. And I don't even have a first novel.
I have not yet read the short story "Reports of Certain Events in London" .
I'm now reading "Kraken: An Anatomy", and it's also a nearly-real-world fantasy. Those three novels ("King Rat", "The City And The City", and "Kraken: An Anatomy") are nothing alike, however.

Meantime:
Have you ever heard of Steven Gould?
"7th Sigma" is supposed to be a young-adult novel, but IMO it's maybe more appealing to more mature readers than "Un Lun Dun" is.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

TomHChappell wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:Ooh, I stopped caring after seeing Un Lun Dun, thanks for reminding me he's still writing.
"Un Lun Dun"'s for kids. Maybe that's why you didn't like it.
Yes, exactly. I loved Perdido, and enjoyed Scar and Iron. The latter (also later) two seemed less vibrant; perhaps it's best that he took a break from Bas-Lag. I thought he was going to switch genre entirely.
TomHChappell wrote:Have you ever heard of Steven Gould?
I thought he was Steven Jay Gould at first. I'll take a look.