Your longest conlang text.

Museum for the best conlanging and conworldery threads. Ask mods to move threads here.
bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Your longest conlang text.

Post by bulbaquil »

Bristel wrote:
bulbaquil wrote:The US Declaration of Independence.

You don't want me to post the whole thing here, let alone with gloss or IPA.
Just the first few lines if you want. I'd like to see just a bit.
I wrote it a while back and without including a gloss at the time, so I'm having to back-gloss a little. Also, for the purpose of rhetoric I tried to keep close to the original sentence structure.

Shar menkra khubhe selateni shunkrulti, shterta kall lefta, zi va shunka bardinan streganul mya timbren grebizutin selbardaro, sem Nasshiy bungrul chat bondreti ge kell men karteran ginari ke Reli ginari shistikhandi shertat grendan, ved jupperin shunkiri radan, shertat markundi kastay mya belan kilch bondrenati embralkit.

when during flow:DAT event:PL.GEN humanity:ADJ:GEN, become:3SG as necessity, REL one populace bond:PL.ACC political which.FEM someone.else:DAT connect:PERF.3PL untie:CONN, among Power:PL:GEN world:ADJ position separate:PSTPART and only which:ACC:MASC law:PL.INSTR nature:GEN and God:GEN nature:GEN grant:PRESPART stand:3PL claim:INF, in.order.to opinion:PL.ACC humanity:GEN respect.INF, stand:3PL declare:PRESPART reason:PL which.FEM desire:ACC such separate:NMLZ:GEN cause:3PL

"When, during the flow of the events of humanity, it becomes a necessity that one people untie the bonds which have connected them to another and to claim the separate position among the Powers of the world [that is] granted them by the laws of nature and nature's God, in order that the opinions of mankind be respected the reasons which cause the desire of such separation are to be declared."
Last edited by bulbaquil on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Observer wrote:finlay, I couldn't figure that out, I know little of linguistics or language. Regardless, what do the cases mean?
In general, -ip is nominative (although I want to change this), -èz is dative, and -ob is genitive. But there are different suffixes for definite nouns. For instance, I've borrowed the word Muslim as Muuslim but added the definite nominate suffix -eep to the end of it instead of -ip, to make Muuslimeep (the Muslim(s)) instead of Muslimip (a Muslim/some Muslims). These vary by the class of the noun, however. I should maybe have just glossed it and it would make some of these questions clearer, but I didn't want to bother.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

It's not complete so I won't post it, but my South Eresian religious text, the rápal ma jáni, is pretty fucking long. Otherwise, the longest thing I've translated into my conlang is the Raven King's prophecy, into my very old conlang Aquenandi. I won't dig that up now, because it's pretty long.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Observer: oops. I noticed the extra unglossed "san" in there wasn't supposed to be. Fixed.

Jashan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jashan »

Observer wrote:What is the longest contiguous text (paragraph; short story; etc.) you've produced in any conlang of yours? Will you post it, or link to it if hosted elsewhere

I translated the full text of The Hundredth Smurf into Ley Arah at one point. It's not longer available on the web, since that domain died years ago and I don't have a record of it anymore :\
[quote="Xephyr"]Kitties: little happy factories.[/quote]

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

My longest text is... actually something I wrote during last night after I read this thread :P

---

Mēzāno ēþ Mīrani kunsi Þajalantu Axidatu Ankānẽn kunsan Unratu Lañatu somas ŋalānis. Mautanzi śeðnānis: “Ŋo, maham, iśvus hosaŋ Ankānẽn somajãnham śvāðata ajirim?”
Þajala Axida hēvanāst: “Ajā, ētiðar hēmãs! Xõhirdisas ā somajanðu haþa ēlāþisas!”
Mīrani Ankānẽn namuŋānis ēþ uði śāŋþaf mevrēnaf maupritnisāssan. Ankānen mazānas, ā uði anitkuf þajalānīs. Aś xaśtānanīvimē, Mīrani xõ Ankānejun hirdans maulānis. Rausa Ankānen tārānassan ā hēvanāst: “Mē, rerañi! Mēsau hpāsiśetmat!” ā dēnun śatu aimiśatśsi nirnānas ā ðikśanānas.
Mīrani jovnani ē̃ś aśmānis ā hun Ankānentu xõmevārānisus.

Vunu, Unra Laña nimõś kunsasitu daŋānas ā aśvarānasan maulānas. Rausa mēþax anertānassan. Anaŋar ā indruŋ ā miþaŋ ā mauzuŋ ā faduŋ ā atoŋ śeðnānas ēþ iśvuf Ankānẽn anerta ajirās, rausa a’i am fiźtvī mē raftihasan ajirānes.
Aśrúz, anĩd śeðnānas: “Ēo, īpa ansimalva, asananham varānat?”
Anid ŋasesú rīgāno: “Sereinānas uði þinuf āmur ha’inuf mējēn gotiśēs.”

Þãl ēpijan zurvana, Unra Laña uði īlsīr xõ unarif Aþartu Varŋalþtvu rurānas. Maŋalzi mãl nīmānas ā minrunusi vīlsānas.
Tumimul Aþartu Varŋalþtvu xõ, kunsanzi varānas ā valānas ēþ Ankānen ðikśanānas. Kunsanzi śeðnānas: “Iśvī vatśarānesþan?”
Kunsasi rīgānas: “Alma airaŋa’ans atmānaun, rausa kunsi mīrani vamahamtu þajalanhamtu aþrinānis ēþ atmānāh.”
Unra Laña kunsanzi dirnānas ā āmur unarif Aþartu Varŋalþtvu xansānas.

Þãl aunraxtu zurvana, Unra Laña uði kunsafsi Auvimhaunzi sereinānas. Mautanzi otausanzi goñuġranzi varānana, Auvimhan feilatoŋ verējuŋ xaŋśehīvarānassās atmaun maliśās.
Unra Laña kunsarzi hēvānas: “Ētamat behasan tārþun, atmaun ðiknaś ðeitaðutu zantenar atmanāh!”
Auvimhanan gũn uði marxif āraþanif vīlsānas. Eivaśmarusal axidú xõśamsāno’us. Sen marxif zurvānas, ā vaurú hihirdānasun, ā śvāðatānasun ŋalsaþ tśaŋus atmaun sadźiśus, ā sufþus oranus atmaun diśpú suvjikśukś.
Rato kamat kaul, ā Auvimhan mautanzi juŋānaun.

Unra Laña fadun lākasan śvāðatānas ā Mīranin aśvarānas. Aśraŋi āmurhaðēŋānissas, faduŋ ā mirmaŋ ēhkani, rausa Unra Laña ixān ixān xaśtānas.
Aśrúz, tolmānassan ā suvjānassan. Sadźīsar vaurus, sanathēvõksi śanihānas. Rokantānis ā namuŋānassan: “Daŋamat añan! Maham junavānas!”
Rausa Mīrani govanimē, Unra Laña hēvanāst: “Bahið, rerañi, zurŋānit! Ðaris asanaham ðikśānas, rausa hãma ansimalunzi śatrisam! Zantenar atmanisam! Ðikś maŋuhaŋenðar, fīzau haukrikśitsa!”

Ā Mīranin aŋaln kavalt śanihānas ā xaŋśe anhēigef mevārānasuŋ.
Ā ðeitanzi haukrānas þinus ha’inus almaŋ Þajalantu Axidatu sadźānas ā xõ xezuf aġimhoŋānas.
Aś zantenar atmanānanamē, ðikraś kunsasitu kaugen ðaŋānas.

---

Mēzāno ēþ Mīrani kunsi Þajalantu Axidatu Ankānẽn kunsan Unratu Lañatu somas ŋalānis.
It occured that Blowing, son of Fast Travelling wanted Most Beautiful, the daughter of Black Mistress, in marriage.
Mautanzi śeðnānis: “Ŋo, maham, iśvus hosaŋ Ankānẽn somajãnham śvāðata ajirim?”
He asked his mother: "Well, my mother, with which treatment can I make Most Beautiful my wife?"
Þajala Axida hēvanāst: “Ajā, ētiðar hēmãs! Xõhirdisas ā somajanðu haþa ēlāþisas!”
Fast Travelling said to him: "Oh, make for you the moment! Force into her and she will have to be your wife!"

Mīrani Ankānẽn namuŋānis ēþ uði śāŋþaf mevrēnaf maupritnisāssan.
Blowing pleaded with Most Beautiful that she accompany him to a secret sacred place.
Ankānen mazānas, ā uði anitkuf þajalānīs.
Most Beautiful agreed, and the two travelled to an elm tree copse.
Aś xaśtānanīvimē, Mīrani xõ Ankānejun hirdans maulānis.
After the two having arrived there, Blowing tried to force [himself] into her.
Rausa Ankānen tārānassan ā hēvanāst:
But Most Beautiful hit him and said to him:
“Mē, rerañi! Mēsau hpāsiśetmat!” ā dēnun śatu aimiśatśsi nirnānas ā ðikśanānas.
"No, evil one! Never shall you touch me!" and she opened her neck with her nails and died.
Mīrani jovnani ē̃ś aśmānis ā hun Ankānentu xõmevārānisus.
Scared Blowing dug a hole and hid the body of Most Beautiful inside it.

Vunu, Unra Laña nimõś kunsasitu daŋānas ā aśvarānasan maulānas.
Soon, Black Mistress exhibited lack of her daughter and tried to look for her.
Rausa mēþax anertānassan.
But nowhere did she find her.
Anaŋar ā indruŋ ā miþaŋ ā mauzuŋ ā faduŋ ā atoŋ śeðnānas ēþ iśvuf Ankānẽn anerta ajirās, rausa a’i am fiźtvī mē raftihasan ajirānes.
She asked the gods and the grasses and the flowers and the animals and the clouds and the rocks where she could find Most Beautiful, but not one of them could reveal it to her.
Aśrúz, anĩd śeðnānas: “Ēo, īpa ansimalva, asananham varānat?”
In the end, she asked the elm tree: "Hey, honourable tree, have you seen my daughter?"
Anid ŋasesú rīgāno: “Sereinānas uði þinuf āmur ha’inuf mējēn gotiśēs.”
The elm tree replied truthfully: "She has gone to the place from which nobody returns."

Þãl ēpijan zurvana, Unra Laña uði īlsīr xõ unarif Aþartu Varŋalþtvu rurānas.
Carrying a heavy heart, Black Mistress ran to the descent into the realm of Two Faces.
Maŋalzi mãl nīmānas ā minrunusi vīlsānas.
She removed her clothes and lowered her two feet.
Tumimul Aþartu Varŋalþtvu xõ, kunsanzi varānas ā valānas ēþ Ankānen ðikśanānas.
In the darkness of Two Faces, she saw her daughter and knew that Most Beautiful had died.
Kunsanzi śeðnānas: “Iśvī vatśarānesþan?”
She asked her daughter: "Who killed you?"
Kunsasi rīgānas: “Alma airaŋa’ans atmānaun, rausa kunsi mīrani vamahamtu þajalanhamtu aþrinānis ēþ atmānāh.”
Her daughter replied: "The hand owned by me did it, but the blowing son of the my travelling maternal aunt coerced that I did so."
Unra Laña kunsanzi dirnānas ā āmur unarif Aþartu Varŋalþtvu xansānas.
Black Mistress hugged her daughter and ascended away from the realm of Two Faces.

Þãl aunraxtu zurvana, Unra Laña uði kunsafsi Auvimhaunzi sereinānas.
Carrying a heart of rage, Black Mistress went to her daughter Old Blacksmith.
Mautanzi otausanzi goñuġranzi varānana, Auvimhan feilatoŋ verējuŋ xaŋśehīvarānassās atmaun maliśās.
Seeing her naked and bloodthirsty mother, Old Blacksmith threw green sparkle-stones over her so that she was clothed.
Unra Laña kunsarzi hēvānas: “Ētamat behasan tārþun, atmaun ðiknaś ðeitaðutu zantenar atmanāh!”
Black Mistress said to her daughter: "Make me a strike-tool of metal, so that I can do the death of your sister justice!"
Auvimhanan gũn uði marxif āraþanif vīlsānas.
Old Blacksmith lowered iron into the dancing fire.
Eivaśmarusal axidú xõśamsāno’us.
In the enormous heat, it quickly became liquid.
Sen marxif zurvānas, ā vaurú hihirdānasun, ā śvāðatānasun ŋalsaþ tśaŋus atmaun sadźiśus, ā sufþus oranus atmaun diśpú suvjikśukś.
She pulled it out of the fire, and strongly hammered it repeatedly, and made it a sharp side so that it may cut, and a heavy handle so that it may be held safely.
Rato kamat kaul, ā Auvimhan mautanzi juŋānaun.
It was a sword, and Old Blacksmith gave it to her mother.

Unra Laña fadun lākasan śvāðatānas ā Mīranin aśvarānas.
Black Mistress made a cloud a horse and looked for Blowing.
Aśraŋi āmurhaðēŋānissās, faduŋ ā mirmaŋ ēhkani, rausa Unra Laña ixān ixān xaśtānas.
The hunted one flew away from her, piercing clouds and airs, but Black Mistress came closer and closer.
Aśrúz, tolmānassan ā suvjānassan.
In the end, she caught him and held him.
Sadźīsar vaurus, sanathēvõksi śanihānas.
With a strong cut, she hacked off his sex organ.
Rokantānis ā namuŋānassan: “Daŋamat añan! Maham junavānas!”
He cried and pleaded with her: "Exhibit mercy! My mother had the idea!"
Rausa Mīrani govanimē, Unra Laña hēvanāst: “Bahið, rerañi, zurŋānit!
But while Blowing bled, Black Mistress said to him: "Silence, evil one, you sinned!
Ðaris asanaham ðikśānas, rausa hãma ansimalunzi śatrisam!
Through you, my daughter died, but I will heal her dignity!
Zantenar atmanisam!
I will do justice!
Ðikś maŋuhaŋenðar, fīzau haukrikśitsa!”
Death too good for you, you will be punished forever!"

Ā Mīranin aŋaln kavalt śanihānas ā xaŋśe anhēigef mevārānasuŋ.
And she hacked Blowing to a thousand items and hid them across the world.
Ā ðeitanzi haukrānas þinus ha’inus almaŋ Þajalantu Axidatu sadźānas ā xõ xezuf aġimhoŋānas.
And she punished her sister by this, that she cut [off] the hands of Fast Travelling and banished her into the desert.
Aś zantenar atmanānanamē, ðikraś kunsasitu kaugen ðaŋānas.
After having done justice, she exhibited grief to the death of her daughter.

---

The translation is awkward on purpose, because so far I've been too lazy to do a proper gloss :P I may update the religion thread later with a ~~proper~~ translation, too, as this is, of course, a myth (basically, a just so story about how the wind can come from any direction because he's a chopped up rapist).

Part of this was to try out a new idea for verbs and pronoun clitics:
xõmevārānisus
-me-vār-ān-i-s=us
inside-NEG-make.seen-PST-M-ABS=3.SG.INAN.ADPOS
he hid [sth] in it

xaŋśehīvarānassās
xaŋśe-hīvar-ān-a-s=sās
across-throw-PST-F-ABS=3.SG.ANIM.ADPOS
she threw over her

xõśamsāno’us
-śam-s-ān-o=us
inside-liquid-VBLZ-PST-INAN=3.SG.INAN.ADPOS
it melted in it

āmurhaðēŋānissas
āmur-haðēŋ-ān-i-s=sās
away-fly-PST-M-ABS=3.SG.ANIM.ADPOS
he flew away from her

Namely, making the adpositional clitic pronouns go with prefixed adpositions.
Last edited by MisterBernie on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

My longest text in Athonian is a verse from a not-really-poetic poem:
Ver elemle, ni jílyê sáf sírmêtekele.
Îsâ sey der, jílyê ǎrèmpitèro.
Ni noroet öfâle urùl ǵò.
Ni öfâle, zif ver "jîlyé khǔsí " érè ándèdúr ghùyale.
Zif qelle, érè ni isása ulfâznefe.
Another one I'm working on, inspired by this thread, is an article concerning a certain conwar. This is what I have so far:
Sénìfóstøn Sáf (ístòrǐsírmêtekelande Íyàn-jè.ør)

Sénìfóstøn ze ta tilèn fóstøn dèr. Ver 890-900 ZS ùlím dèr, muá ísasa ande ta ver norøt ùí jifyâffe. Fóstøn ze deme, Âtǒn ta Tayre öfâfe, muá oru ta norøt byêfâfe ver akhrey 10 ùlím.
Not so much, and the wording is very simple compared to an academic paper, but still.

My longest text in Chiric is a children story I've begun to write:
Rafel ne no Tafel

Rafel tsilhú siast ta. Senlam he ta, na Vé Hilaseai féderæ, ó Chiram sé ji.
Hete, Rafel vé Kepar Fexi he túrliut. Tsamser, škætu tsór šuñi. Ulktúye sxe…
Teije! Rafel seduñi. Ó no tsós teuñi ji. Teije! Teije, škæte tsós! Rafel rimuñi. Ó no tsós teuñi ji tsajje!
And in Leneric, a part of a folk song:
Lenerene!
Zeth elergiade nata, Lekanaget?
Zeth elergiade ma loya, Detrakhazet?
Zeth elergiade, Lenerene, zeth elergiade ploraet nafa zemlan?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

zelos
Sanci
Sanci

Post by zelos »

I dont have it yet but I am working on a creation story translation and mathematical stuff

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

The longest texts in Hellesan have already been posted here and my blog:

Tolkien's Ring poem (8 verses).
Odyssey's opening passage (10 verses).
A few verses from Victor Balaguer's Los Pirineus (15 verses).
Tolkien's Namarië (17 verses).

And a fragment from Machiavelli's The Prince, now lost. I could start translating some long text, maybe from a novel, to avoid too many technical words, because the other option is a history or anthropology book. Or I could translate a few pages from my own works about Hellea or Hellesan.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

The longest existing text in Tmaśareʔ is the creation myth, which explains the concept of the life-giving substance kwaco. (The story is based on Dewrad's description of Proto-Western culture [↗]. PW is the protolanguage Tmaśareʔ is derived from.)
Sǫsseńaheʔ wihoma kęhtaʔokse, yaśe śeʔ ećehca mekihmahtayakse, ca tahnaʔyapǫse. Wihoma cenaćehcihcmǫʔ kǫpe, sǫsseńaheʔ wihomoʔ sąʔ haho kwehąhńa polaloʔkwa. Taloʔkse cą cǫke, wihomeʔ tǫ ećehca eniyakse. Ca rokwoʔ kyaratwihmǫʔ olemǫʔma oma, tąctoco kwahiʔcoloʔwa kwehąhńa.

Yaśe kęhtaksemo tmoʔ sąʔ, kwakwe cą sǫsseńaheʔ yęsohcaloʔkwa sǫssą, śokwe lalaʔyaʔwa. Śokwe cą, cpolaʔokwa hakpolaha: kwaco. Halala kwaco mekćęʔnaʔwa kwihoramǫʔ cehtǫʔ kwoco, kąta ca kmamąsoʔ olemǫʔ oma, oleloʔtayeʔi śeʔ kwehąhńa. Cpoktahćkaloʔkse, sǫsseńaho ca ćawiʔwa.

Cohąńeyeńaʔeʔ kwe siʔtatahka yokwoʔ kwaco mekyoʔpeloʔkse. Śehakpolaha yekoloʔksihma ktahco yekwe, poʔce poʔwaroloʔkse ca ćećehą kekehka kakahpaʔma kwiną sćakęńakta. Śeśoʔ aro ca, kwakwe ayećkaʔwa ońoyońǫnańa ćeʔśoyahmo.

Sǫsseńaho roʔ ahparayaho, yaheʔ ca yeyeńaʔ epiwa węćaloʔksemo. Rayeśoʔ kwoco, yepąʔkwaco wihoma ckihoʔnahcaloʔksihma ńęso. Sǫsseńaheʔ laloʔ kpihkamę taholoʔksemo. Lala kohpco kwaco mekćęćkaloʔwihma kwihoramǫʔ oma. Kąta kehće kwaco lǫćatańaʔkse yeʔyahketańaʔkse yekotańaʔkseʔma, yelco tǫ kwiśe kwahiʔceʔi, laleʔ yeca eńopahrayąpaʔkseyeʔi cą. Caca iktahco lǫcakwacokwehoyeʔi yeʔyahkekwacokwehoyeʔiʔma, waʔąʔkseʔi ćocwo ckǫnalano. Kwaʔśę cą wihoskwelaʔwayeʔi, kwecńǫhęhńaro cą sokwatwiʔwaʔi ca kćećehca mekihmahtaʔkseʔi, caca kmamąsoʔ olemǫʔ oma, oleʔtaʔi eńo cą laloʔ kwehąhńa.

Śeśoʔ elka ońotatańaʔnęceʔi kwaco hayehco yęsohcaʔnęceʔi yekohcaʔnęceʔiʔma yaśe, epoʔwaromę ca yecąʔnęceʔi yaśe cą.
<c ć ś ń y> = /ts tʃ ʃ ɲ j/
<ę ą ǫ> = /ẽ ã õ/

An interlinear gloss with a translation is available at the AkanaWiki.

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

Izambri wrote:The longest texts in Hellesan have already been posted here and my blog:

Tolkien's Ring poem (8 verses).
Odyssey's opening passage (10 verses).
A few verses from Victor Balaguer's Los Pirineus (15 verses).
Tolkien's Namarië (17 verses).

And a fragment from Machiavelli's The Prince, now lost. I could start translating some long text, maybe from a novel, to avoid too many technical words, because the other option is a history or anthropology book. Or I could translate a few pages from my own works about Hellea or Hellesan.
Ooh! The ring poem might be quite interesting to do. Good way to test out if parallelism as a poetic device works in your conlang.

As for me, the longest text I have produced in Aeruyo is a legend about the origin of the Malviz (you could call them "dark Aeruyo" -- a second faction of spirits that animate the dead). I'll post it once I go through and update it -- there has been a huge change to the TAM system, pronouns, and other things since I wrote it, and some tweaks to the case system, so I have to check it all against the grammar for consistency. Let's hope I can do that without going insane -- I constantly get indicative past and nonpast confused, and the new TAM system is murderous, particularly where mood and tense combine. Or where mood has any specialized purpose in syntactic structures.
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

Rik
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rik »

Observer wrote:Rik, what is the significance of the periods within words in Gevey? Also, is "SIMA" a gloss for "simultaneous?" My only resource is the Wikipedia page on glosses, and it's not listed.
The periods in the IPA mark syllable boundaries (important for writing the language in its native alphabet).

Gevey has it's own idiosyncratic conventions for the gloss - details on this web page in the translation section of the website. SIMA - object using the simple animate status.

Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Přemysl »

I had translated Sura al-Faatiha to Haziam but I can't find it. As some here can attest I have very bad file naming habits (i.e. 1.jpg, 1.txt, 213.doc, etc).

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Longest Kannow text is from the last conlingual telephone, which is probably never getting finished so whatever. I doubt I'd realistically be able to translate a longer text anytime soon; Kannow takes fucking forever. (edit: corrected some orthographic errors)
Tḽùpceqř tpcqdỳqnař i tpcgòŗqř magmas miņin. Tpcgoŗqř dy mon, heceģàt, tconrʼend. Ņeņeģàt, hecqdỳndonow magmatʼ tmùnija, hecenrʼendonow a hyŗija. Ḽrokmintř kêms, hsʼektdsař májtk kròrògomps. Dy, trpipuḽumpř wán yn troŗèmpř, kcplawyņqow miņin. Kròkmínk ropuḽow kròdìrģàt, tacqdỳmbynaw kùŗiaw. Reģàt tkstsèņsekemb, kstlgàrán bynkstìqʼaw. Trpiqdỳmbow ropsègniw, pqdỳndonow. Rtʼàmgow reģàt ḽrḽasʼnàhow wán kstìhaņguw kŗestʼ kròpsʼogón míņtʼ sʼogija.
Don't have any texts of significant length in any of my other conlangs, although I translated the first half of one of the PIE fables into Insular Kett when I first started the language so I might redo that sometime soon.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Observer
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Observer »

Theta, have you thought of something to translate yet? Though I've never conlanged, I see many people choose either the preamble of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or their home country's constitution, or their religious text's most important or first passage.

bulbaquil, what do you mean by back-gloss? I would think if one knows a language, one should be able to produce a gloss for a text at any time.

finlay, thanks. Does the extra 'u' in Muuslim emulate an English pronunciation of that word, or is it conventional?

Risla, what is the Raven King's prophecy? Google suggests to me that it's from the Strange & Norrell books.

Foolster41, I see now.

Jashan, how did you translate the reverse speech? Also, why did you choose that text to translate?

MisterBernie, if Blowing is the personification of the wind, what do Black Mistress and Fast Travelling represent?

Mr. Z, will you post English translations of your contexts?

Rik, that page is impressive. While interlinear gloss is useful for learning and comparing languages, rarely do conlangs appear to have custom glosses. It's nice to see.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Observer wrote:the preamble of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Oh god no. Don't do this. Not unless your conlang is supposed to be based on Earth or you'll have another use for all the liberal buzzwords you'll have to add to your lexicon. (My conworld is pretty much a set of protofascist theocracies, so that would not work at all for me, anyway.)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I think some of the ideals in that document might go against those of my con-people.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Observer wrote:Theta, have you thought of something to translate yet? Though I've never conlanged, I see many people choose either the preamble of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or their home country's constitution, or their religious text's most important or first passage.

bulbaquil, what do you mean by back-gloss? I would think if one knows a language, one should be able to produce a gloss for a text at any time.

finlay, thanks. Does the extra 'u' in Muuslim emulate an English pronunciation of that word, or is it conventional?
No, I just borrowed it with a long /uː/ – I've just noted that Arabic has a short /u/ in the word, though, so if I ever have to translate something with it again I'll just write it with one u.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Observer wrote:MisterBernie, if Blowing is the personification of the wind, what do Black Mistress and Fast Travelling represent?
Unra Laña Black Mistress is an epithet of Mēlēja, the goddess of vengeance, justice, and honey (the latter being.
Þajalana Axida Fast Travelling is Zixa, the goddess of wanderers, travellers, and outcasts and outlaws.
(And Auvimhan is Atama, the goddess of the mountains, of ores and metalworking)
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Ollock
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ollock »

OK, here is my long Aeruyo text, now newly fixed according to the latest version of the language (note, I may have some mistakes in there:

[spoiler]
A Grammar of Aeruyo wrote:The Malviz / Malero
Aeruyo Text Sirúrome pen agyakal mehe domefonosa foda, úrome kehe pen
arath. Fonora nehe kami tan tsokalasa tan syocasa ten dyahe koren tan thetika
agyail drubehe thetira woi, sya Aeruro sefe.
Sirúrome mehe dan, huran Aeruro hatahe woth prohisye syocalara tan sanasye
anera enerath. Kun prohiweda kinakui sirúrome. Wo wasye kuron enéremen.
Sirúdome tha tsipafe Aeruyo kan en hyopiral, syada kuron enéremen gayohe
rathídetha sirúyome. Kun anera enerath darui koren enéremen. Thetita henehe
dáremen koken ben wagari tsadare. Sya kreyahe tsyawúrome.
Bidahe dometswifura. Agyaral thetsehe tan tsanihe Aeruto, sya wedahe
Krefari Agyail. Krefati thotsuhe tsi fu hyopiro gayukro hiworal. Tsyawúrome
kreyahe datan hyopiral agyakal ben wa wedare kreyawésome ten. Wo sefe Male-
ro. Maledo pu dakuhe datan hyopital agyaral bemiki kyo woth thozui thetida
ota.
Tan tutife, Aeruro tan Malero dakahe tyahora. Hyopidal rea sanahe mi
syemaron. Syematon Aeruyo prugafe pyaro kreyaran tan kayeran: thestaral,
kritaral, uparal, neyaral, gilaral. Syematon Malelyo prugafe pyaro zaniran tan
zaheran: mizárome, kara, bimural, tsukora, dekera. Syemaren rea kefe agyakal
ben, sya nina hunife tsi sikre datath. Syemaren Aeruyo sikre thetida ora, tan
syemaren Malelyo sikre tsyawora.
Fonora nefe kami tan syemaron syife datath uto ta dakure dometswifura.
Tswifura syaye kama, Aeruto tan Maleto ta heneye enen agyaral.

English Translation
Long before man came to this world, there were other
beings. Eventually, through civilization and learning they escaped their bodies,
infusing their own mortal breath into the immortal breath of the world,
becoming the Aeruro.
When humanity came, some of these spirits wished to impart their knowledge
to them, and give men the gift of immortality. But men did not understand their
teachings, and wished to make their bodies immortal. One faction of spirits fell
disillusioned with mankind, and gave the kings of men everlasting bodies. But
an immortal body is not the same as immortality, for the mind decays in a body
whose breath has left it. Thus, the rst undead were created.
There was a great war between the spirits that ravaged the land until the
Maker of the World himself intervened. The Maker of the World forced the two
factions to make a truce. That faction who had created the undead could now
only aect the world through their new creations. They became the Malviz.
Those who had fought against the dark spirits were denied the ability to aect
the world unless commanded to do so by breathing creatures.
In addition to this, the spirits lost their individuality. Each side was given
ve masks. The Aeruro's masks represented ve creative and protective forces:
Truth, Justice, Order, Love and Life. The Malviz' masks represented ve destructive
and dangerous forces: Secrets, Vengeance, Chaos, Fear, and Death.
One of each mask remains in the physical world, to be found by one who is
destined to wear it. The Aeruyo masks must be worn avatars who breathe, and
the Malviz masks must be worn by the undead.
One day all the bearers of these masks will ght a great war. And when the
war is done, the Aeuryo and Malero will leave the world forever.
[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, the interlinears won't copy properly, and that's a lot of interlinear to fix. I'll see if I can edit later.

EDIT: Whoa, whoa! somehow copy-paste systematically removed all instances of <fi>! Malero is supposed to be Malefiro!
George Corley
Producer and Moderating Host, Conlangery Podcast

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I told you I hated that goddamn fi ligature... somewhere. I forget which topic it was in.