Life on a gas giant, the conworld

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Life on a gas giant, the conworld

Post by Torco »

Ever wondered if a gas giant might harbor life? intelligent life even? here's your chance to find out!

https://sites.google.com/site/planetamphitrite/

yup, here it is. it is extremely barebones as of now, but I thought I'd share and get some feedback.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Life on a gas giant, the conworld

Post by cromulant »

I've always been fascinated by this possibility.

I look forward to details.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

I can't find it now, but a while ago, I saw a documentary that at least partially touched on the subject of this possibility. On Jupiter, specifically. Beings spoken off were ones with, for example, air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below. There were others, but I can't remember them now. Everything was flying, anyway.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I read a scifi book with some aliens that were, as you say Skomakar'n, "air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below". Can't remember what book it was now.
It was about time I changed this.

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Now that I recall, I do remember coming across it somewhere... there was a book, or website, or something, where someone hypothesized what life on other planets in the solar system might be like. I think he/she took some liberties because there were hypothesized life forms for every planet.

Anyhow, intersting stuff. Moar.
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

cybrxkhan wrote:Now that I recall, I do remember coming across it somewhere... there was a book, or website, or something, where someone hypothesized what life on other planets in the solar system might be like. I think he/she took some liberties because there were hypothesized life forms for every planet.
I think Asimov and Baxter both tried their hand at such speculation for as many Solar System worlds as possible.
treegod wrote:I read a scifi book with some aliens that were, as you say Skomakar'n, "air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below". Can't remember what book it was now.
Saturn Rukh?
MadBrain is a genius.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I imagine they would probably be very big since the density of air is so low. Though some scientists believe Jupiter has liquid deep inside it, and maybe even solid rock at the very center, the temperature (36000°C) and pressure (3 million times more than Earth's surface) would be too severe to support anything like what we could call life.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Will any species in this conworld be able to use language?

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

i'm having trouble imagining what it looks like. do you have any drawings or anything?

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

It's been done by various authors; the first one to mind is the 2001 series, though it was just a throwaway mention during Jupiter's collapse.
Soap wrote:I imagine they would probably be very big since the density of air is so low. Though some scientists believe Jupiter has liquid deep inside it, and maybe even solid rock at the very center, the temperature (36000°C) and pressure (3 million times more than Earth's surface) would be too severe to support anything like what we could call life.
The density, temperature, and pressure would vary throughout the air column; presumably there would be an altitude somewhere in the ~70Mm that would admit survival of life, for some value of life...

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

cunningham wrote:i'm having trouble imagining what it looks like. do you have any drawings or anything?
Dirigibles with tentacles.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

sucaeyl wrote:Will any species in this conworld be able to use language?
Sure, the Nephelai speak. I haven't decided how human is their language, though.
cunningham wrote:i'm having trouble imagining what it looks like. do you have any drawings or anything?
hell, I wish. I draw a bit, but not at the level required for this proyect. however, as for the landscape, the atmosphere is nitrogen, oxygen, neon and carbon dioxide, with water vapor clouds, so, say, the cloudmoss layer around the mesosphere... it shouldn't look too different from this.
Greenclouds.jpg
Greenclouds.jpg (14.27 KiB) Viewed 18919 times
As for drawings of the creatures, well... no, not that either, sadly.

Also, flight and swimming get all mixed up at 50 atmospheres pressure.

Latinist13
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Latinist13 »

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/stephen ... -life.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuVy5VvCew8

A couple interesting links I found about life on gas giant worlds.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

El Torco wrote:
sucaeyl wrote:Will any species in this conworld be able to use language?
Sure, the Nephelai speak. I haven't decided how human is their language, though.
hell, I wish. I draw a bit, but not at the level required for this proyect. however, as for the landscape, the atmosphere is nitrogen, oxygen, neon and carbon dioxide, with water vapor clouds, so, say, the cloudmoss layer around the mesosphere... it shouldn't look too different from this.

As for drawings of the creatures, well... no, not that either, sadly.

Also, flight and swimming get all mixed up at 50 atmospheres pressure.
They are basically the same thing, just in a different medium; that's why penguins so easily adapted back to being swimmers rather than flyers. At 50 atm it's going to have more in common with "swimming" than "flying", of course.

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Have all the cells in this world, both of single and multi-cellular life developed structures similar to the large central vacuoles in plant cells, but filled with gas instead of fluid?

And do any of the organisms (most likely larger creatures) have a way to change their buoyancy and thus not be confined to one layer of atmospheric pressure?

Lastly, are there any floating biomass islands, perhaps on which not floating/swimming creatures could evolve?

This may be one of the most intriguing conworlds Iv'e come across.

prettydragoon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by prettydragoon »

This is looking very promising. Please sir, may I have some more?

Latinist13
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Latinist13 »

sucaeyl wrote:Have all the cells in this world, both of single and multi-cellular life developed structures similar to the large central vacuoles in plant cells, but filled with gas instead of fluid?

And do any of the organisms (most likely larger creatures) have a way to change their buoyancy and thus not be confined to one layer of atmospheric pressure?

Lastly, are there any floating biomass islands, perhaps on which not floating/swimming creatures could evolve?

Although would such islands be stable enough to give enough time for such life to evolve on them. I think any such islands would get torn apart by the high winds common to gas giant planets. Interesting idea, though.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

prettydragoon wrote:This is looking very promising. Please sir, may I have some more?
sure! ask away, or wait until I produce more, which should be soon, since I'm psyched about the idea myself.

sucaeyl wrote:Have all the cells in this world, both of single and multi-cellular life developed structures similar to the large central vacuoles in plant cells, but filled with gas instead of fluid?

I imagine life evolving on the lower levels of the world, where buoyancy isn't such a big deal since it's pretty dense and heavy to begin with. Still, hidrogen vacuoles in a hidrogenless gas giant seem like a logical thing to evolve for complex microorganisms. But no, not all cells have them. The first complex organisms were clusters of green algae-like things that used the same hard tissue that they used to connect with dust particles and water droplets to coalesce around a bubble themselves.

Sure organisms have a way to change their buoyancy, they just dump the hidrogen to drop and manufacture some more to rise. still, for most slow organisms like esperzoa and rays the process is expensive enough that they almost don't use it. It's the fast guys, the hookfish and the gliders, as well as some sort of floaters, that can traverse different altitude layers with any ease. The nephelai and most prime gliders [the genus to which the nephelai belong to, kind of like primates, having prehensile digits and stuff] are also able to float way down to get nutrients and way up to get energy, in fact they evolved big brains precisely to deal with the complexities of traveling from above the cloudmoss layer to the underdark; different predators, different prey and, perhaps more importantly, different demands placed upon locomotion, which in turn requires one to be pretty smart.

Nope, no biomass islands, they would get torn apart by wind, not to mention eaten by carrion eaters, fungi and the like; consider that nutrients are, for the most part, the main scarcity in such a world: there's oxygen and water aplenty, as well as nitrogen and carbon, but phosphorous, iron, selenium, fluor and the like are hard to come by. The Synnefo, a kind of buoyant ray that is pretty large, acts as such an island, though: there's plenty of animals that live off it's moss cover, and even off its blood. Of course, most of them are either able to fly or able to disperse flying seeds or eggs, so there's no true earthbound creatures to speak of.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Skomakar'n wrote:I can't find it now, but a while ago, I saw a documentary that at least partially touched on the subject of this possibility. On Jupiter, specifically. Beings spoken off were ones with, for example, air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below. There were others, but I can't remember them now. Everything was flying, anyway.
This was probably Carl Sagan's Cosmos, which gave us the phrase "Billions and billions" via a parody.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Laura in Space wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:I can't find it now, but a while ago, I saw a documentary that at least partially touched on the subject of this possibility. On Jupiter, specifically. Beings spoken off were ones with, for example, air-filled sacks that would allow them to float about in the air and not fall into the gases below. There were others, but I can't remember them now. Everything was flying, anyway.
This was probably Carl Sagan's Cosmos, which gave us the phrase "Billions and billions" via a parody.
Cosmos did have a segment on speculative jovian life. Also, if you want to bake an apple pie from scratch.

Latinist13
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Latinist13 »

El Torco wrote:
Laura in Space wrote:
Cosmos did have a segment on speculative jovian life. Also, if you want to bake an apple pie from scratch.
Cosmos: Jovian Life

Seems like you are on the right track, Torco

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Okay, first illustration-like thingie of this world. It's a species of glider that's flying inside the cloudmoss layer.
Attachments
gliders gonna glide.jpg
gliders gonna glide.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 18797 times

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

I really like this - eagerly anticipating more development. Is it in the same star system as Suenu?
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

the duke of nuke wrote:I really like this - eagerly anticipating more development. Is it in the same star system as Suenu?
Matter of fact it is. I'm not sure if the system would be stable, with a superearth-neptunething so near the terrestrial, but I've decided to not care about such things :P

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Would the most intelligent of species on your conwolrd, the Nephelai I believe you call them, have any real type of technology or tool use? I think that could pose a problem for creating such a thing as culture, with the absence of any sort of stone, wood, metal etc. And what physical shape would they have? Similar to that of the creature you posted in this thread?