Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Jipí »

Isn't that a bit overly colorful? If I remember correctly, my sister's passport that she only got 2 years ago (I don't have one yet) just has beige pages with guillochet line patterns all over them or something. It looks just as boring as any other official document.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Jipí wrote:Isn't that a bit overly colorful? If I remember correctly, my sister's passport that she only got 2 years ago (I don't have one yet) just has beige pages with guillochet line patterns all over them or something. It looks just as boring as any other official document.
Possibly, though the US, new UK, and Swiss passports (which I based this one off of) are all quite colorful and/or intricately designed. For example, here's a page from my current US passport:
Red, white, and blue, but not very drab and dull.

(On the other hand, the German one is, indeed, quite boring.)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Improving my mapping skills on RPG Maker VX ACE. Had some trouble with the chairs; all of the chairs are turning the same way, so I had to improvise for now. There are a bunch of things out of place there; there were also other things I wanted to add, but I was too lazy to change the room size again.
Attachments
Room Map.gif
Room Map.gif (205.27 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

vampireshark wrote: (On the other hand, the German one is, indeed, quite boring.)
I definitely agree - the Slovene one has a pretty interesting collection of "national artefacts", such as a classical statue of Europa and a set of runes used for identifying the ownership of cheese wheels, using several different colors for the lines - green, red, etc. But as far as your pic is concerned, the red-and-green thingies on the borders definitely seem a bit too much!

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Salthan main divines, based on a template on the Nationstates forum.

(I realized that I used the "female" templete for all of them, even males, which makes them look funny even if female Salthans don't have breasts. I need to fix. :P)

I want to eventually do the lesser divines as well.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

They look like a cross between a crocodile and a duck.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

My little bro said they look duck-like too. :P Unfortunitly, I'm not really that great of an artist. :P

Actually, looking it does look really duck-bill like. Maybe I can fix the shape to look less like a green bill, but later, it's late. :P

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

CROCODUCK

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

You do not want to mess with the ducks. They may not be Orlanthi, but they are strong warriors who fight the forces of Chaos and don't cause trouble.

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Fixed it to be less duck-like now. :P

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Cathbad wrote:
vampireshark wrote: (On the other hand, the German one is, indeed, quite boring.)
I definitely agree - the Slovene one has a pretty interesting collection of "national artefacts", such as a classical statue of Europa and a set of runes used for identifying the ownership of cheese wheels, using several different colors for the lines - green, red, etc. But as far as your pic is concerned, the red-and-green thingies on the borders definitely seem a bit too much!
Yeah, I should probably reduce their size/eliminate them altogether. Color is more secure, but, in thinking about it, too much color would make printing the document quite a bit more expensive. Which is not good. That'll probably be for the next round of reworking the passport which'll probably be this summer when I'm incredibly bored and depressed about not being in France or Europe in general.
Interestingly, I wasn't posting the picture for the passport: I was posting it to show off the visa.

On the topic of real-life passports, I vaguely remember seeing a page or two of the Slovene passport (actually, here, but I don't know if that's the most recent version), and it's definitely pretty and different. As a random question, though, is there a functional difference between "Slovene" and "Slovenian", or are they mutually equivalent?
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

vampireshark wrote:On the topic of real-life passports, I vaguely remember seeing a page or two of the Slovene passport (actually, here, but I don't know if that's the most recent version), and it's definitely pretty and different. As a random question, though, is there a functional difference between "Slovene" and "Slovenian", or are they mutually equivalent?
The Slovenian I knew was always a Slovenian, never a Slovene. Perhaps it was just the first word he learned in English though.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

vampireshark wrote: On the topic of real-life passports, I vaguely remember seeing a page or two of the Slovene passport (actually, here, but I don't know if that's the most recent version), and it's definitely pretty and different. As a random question, though, is there a functional difference between "Slovene" and "Slovenian", or are they mutually equivalent?
I think they're used pretty much interchangeably... I strictly use Slovene whenever I'm talking about the language and for the nationality ("a Slovene"), although this might just be a pet peeve of mine. As an adjective, I appear to be switching quite a lot between "Slovene" and "Slovenian" though. Probably depending on such arbitrary considerations as stress position and the number of syllables in the surrounding words...

EDIT: that's the latest version of the passport AFAIK; green and blue more than red and blue (I think the latter was in the earlier, pre-biometric version).

Foolster41
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Foolster41 »

Updated my "divines" images again, fixing the gender of the male divines to be more male-ish, tweeked the colors a little and added three lesser divines.

prettydragoon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by prettydragoon »

Passed the 1,800 word mark in Rireinutire. Word #1800: hamota 'to shovel'

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

conscript for that speedlang, now called Dhylas: http://txeria.tumblr.com/post/203188566 ... ipt-demo-2
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

close, I based it on Malayalam, although that one's probably more similar
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Looks nice

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Translation series done. And I even put some effort in a more elaborate recording with sound samples and stuff, lookit/hearit!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I didn't draw it, but I painted it. :)

Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Why not black/white tributes or dyslectic/non-dyslectic tributes or German/non-German tributes or something?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Because Viki is an oppressor who likes nothing more than to invisibilize non-binary people.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Goodbye, traditional gender roles. godspeed.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:Because Viki is an oppressor who likes nothing more than to invisibilize non-binary people.
Please take this up with Suzanne Collins. Apparently in Panem transgender people are forced into a gender binary, likely their birth gender. This is a dictatorship, does it really surprise you?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!