Plans for Southern Erel?e?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Cypress
Sanci
Sanci

Plans for Southern Erel?e?

Post by Cypress »

Is there a chance that we could be blessed with a few tidbits of info about Tellinor and the Island Sea?
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LANGUAGES!!! ^_^

Enjolras for President!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

That's western Erel?e... surely everyone knows that tel means 'west'. :)

Eventually, yes. At least some of the languages are Western, which means they'll get some attention when I get back to that family. Right now I'm working on Axunashin, which has just turned into a detour in Old Skourene. (Finally learning what those names mean...)

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

It'd be great to learn more about ancient Skouras. I know I was earlier among those pushing for stuff on Xurnese, but now I think I'd prefer something that we know less about. What was good about, say, Flaidish, was that it basically expanded greatly into a previously sketchy area of Almea. It added to the diversity and complexity of the place. Not of course that Xurnese materials wouldn't do that, but we do know a little bit about them already. Skouras is more of an unknown.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

nah... west is "adu^n". Or possibly "nu'men". Everyone knows that!
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

zompist wrote: Right now I'm working on Axunashin, which has just turned into a detour in Old Skourene. (Finally learning what those names mean...)
Could you give us some samples (of the names' meanings)? Some of them are very interesting.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Could you give us some samples (of the names' meanings)? Some of them are very interesting.
OK... these are subject to change, and for now I won't explain how they mean what they mean, nor why...

Teralam - the great hand
Mintu - they rejoiced
Kolatimand - of the great sleeper
Nemitali - the place where they rose

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

zompist wrote:
So Haleza Grise wrote:Could you give us some samples (of the names' meanings)? Some of them are very interesting.
OK... these are subject to change, and for now I won't explain how they mean what they mean, nor why...

Teralam - the great hand
Mintu - they rejoiced
Kolatimand - of the great sleeper
Nemitali - the place where they rose
Are the embolded "t"s seperate phonemes, like retroflexes, or are you slyly trying to give us info about some upcoming work?
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Space Dracula wrote:Are the embolded "t"s seperate phonemes, like retroflexes, or are you slyly trying to give us info about some upcoming work?
In fact they are retroflexes... Old Skourene had a set of dental and a set of retroflex stops, fricatives, and liquids.

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

zompist wrote:
Space Dracula wrote:Are the embolded "t"s seperate phonemes, like retroflexes, or are you slyly trying to give us info about some upcoming work?
In fact they are retroflexes... Old Skourene had a set of dental and a set of retroflex stops, fricatives, and liquids.
I rock.

Could you do me a favor, Zomp, and say "Spacey rocks" so I can quote you in my signature?

No? Fine.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

zompist wrote:
Are the bolded letters your preferred transcription, or do you have some other way of writing them?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Are the bolded letters your preferred transcription, or do you have some other way of writing them?
The latter-- my Maraille font puts a comma underneath them. (That or a dot is often used in Middle Eastern studies.) There are Unicode equivalents, but they don't display on my computer.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
zompist wrote:
Are the bolded letters your preferred transcription, or do you have some other way of writing them?
They'd be pretty hard to handwrite :x

Ngo
Niš
Niš

Post by Ngo »

zompist wrote:
Is the retroflex series apico-postalveolar or sub-apical palatal?

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Jaaaaaa wrote:
So Haleza Grise wrote:
zompist wrote:
They'd be pretty hard to handwrite :x
Just underline when handwriting, or something.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Ngo
Niš
Niš

Post by Ngo »

Rory wrote: Just underline when handwriting, or something.
In the normal notation, they have a dot under them.