[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - LaTeX: How do you insert IPA characters?

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:47 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I noticed a lot of people around here use LaTeX, and I've been using it myself recently. Thing is, I've been struggling with typing the IPA characters. Since any grammar written in LaTeX will likely make use of characters from the IPA, I've been wondering how you all handle IPA characters, like the glottal stop.

So, how do you insert IPA characters into your work?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

You should get the linguistics package of LaTeX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

If you are using XeTeX or LuaTeX or any decent modern TeX engine with Unicode support, you can just insert the appropriate Unicode characters. Otherwise you can use commands like for ʀ, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am 
Niš
Niš

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I really recommend using XeLaTeX, I kind of hate TIPA. then I just type things in, and they appear correctly. Though I'm using Keyman/dbus+KMFL for input with a keyboard I wrote for myself...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Okay, I decided to try Goatface's idea. I switched to TeX Live for my TeX installation, and set up my TeX editor, TeXStudio to use XeTeX. That way, I could input Unicode characters and have them appear in my document with little more than the usual rigamarole. Only thing is, TeXStudio isn't even saving my Unicode characters! They keep turning into question marks when I save them. I think it may have something to do with the encoding, but I don't know for sure. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:49 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I don't know the program, but to venture an educated guess, could it be that you need to set the standard encoding to UTF-8 when saving somewhere? Many text editors I've tried for some reason still assume you want to save stuff in iso-8859-1 by default.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp
God, I'm living in the copy-and-paste age still. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Okay, I solved the problem. Apparently, I forgot to put an input encoding instruction to actually tell the program to actually use UTF-8 encoding. You see, the program was actually set to use UTF-8 encoding; I had thought that was the wrong encoding, but it wasn't. Unfortunately, the file wasn't being treated like a proper UTF-8 file because the file itself wasn't telling the program to do so. It's working now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:00 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Can someone please explain to me the actual benefits, for the average writer, of doing things in *TeX rather than, saw, a word processor? I've tried and I've experimented and I've concluded that I do not have time for that shit. Why do people use it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Pthagnar on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:32 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I only use fonts you've never heard of.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:10 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 am 
Smeric
Smeric

trollface.gif :]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:09 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I have always favored controlling what is typeset in a human-readable and editable source file from which an output file (whether PDF, PS, or DVI) is generated rather than trying to wrangle with making things look just right in a GUI word processor, which almost always seems like a pain in the ass, particularly with regard to keeping everything in order and looking consistent. For being supposedly "WYSIWYG" everything seems more difficult than it ought to be in them.

(I remember in particular at my previous job trying to create a sizeable body of documentation for a particular test application. Trying to make things be formatted right with "styles" under Word was a pain in the ass, especially when Word would try to change styles automatically for me as if I somehow wanted it to, making a mess of things. I would have had a much easier time with this were I able to use LaTeX for it.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:53 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I copy/paste them from Wikipedia XD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:26 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:45 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

alt shortcuts also help, if you can memorize them.

I'm using a mac, here's a quick alt + faceroll
¡™£¢∞§¶•≠œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ“‘«åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬…æΩ≈ç√∫˜µ≤≥÷

ß∂∫æ

and those are the four IPA symbols I can shortcut to atm. Might relink some more later though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:54 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I use Ekaya in Windows and KMFL in Linux, which both let me use uncompiled Keyman keyboard files. Over something like the last 7 years, I've developed and refined a pretty good keyboard system for IPA and common Latin characters, including combining diacritics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 am 
Niš
Niš

Last edited by Nexapf on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:30 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru