Family histories

Discussions worth keeping around later.
ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Family histories

Post by ZMoring »

People always have interesting stories about their family history to tell, so I figured, why not?

I recently inherited a lot of pictures and family history from my grandmother. The picture I like the most is this one:
The man third-from-the-left is my great-great-grandfather, Alfred Cicero Ingle. He lived in Fannin County, Georgia and he was a surveyor for the local copper refinery.

Any cool pictures or interesting family stories?
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Family histories

Post by Pinetree »

This is a Picture of my Great-Grandmother, Great-Grandfather, and Great-Aunt (who I never met) on my paternal Grandmother's side. Three of my Grandparents were born in Russia and immigrated to Canada during WWII, having escaped Soviet Russia by fleeing with the retreating Germans (they spoke German themselves, so the Germans considered them German Citizens). The other, the pictured Great-Grandparent's Son-In-Law, was born in Canada, because his Family had left Russia in the Interbellum Period.

Note: This Picture used to have a bloody great Crack running through it, but I gimped it out. Can you tell where it was?

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

In before there are two persons here that both realize that they are related!
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

ZMoring
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ZMoring »

Hubris Incalculable wrote:This Picture used to have a bloody great Crack running through it, but I gimped it out. Can you tell where it was?
Was it between the woman and the child?
"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet." -- Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
"Nonsense! Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of." -- Prof. Higgins, Pygmalion

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

ZMoring wrote:
Hubris Incalculable wrote:This Picture used to have a bloody great Crack running through it, but I gimped it out. Can you tell where it was?
Was it between the woman and the child?
No, actually it ran across Großopa and Großoma's* Foreheads.

*That's what we called them. EDIT: Yes, I know the standard forms are Uropa and Uroma.
Last edited by Pinetree on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

My grandfather was an alcoholic

Aldwinkle
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Aldwinkle »

My great grandfather was Hitler

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

hmmm... didn't we have this thread before? or am I having deja vu?

anyway, I guess I could post a bit about my family history... but some other time

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

My great grandad and his family. He's on the far left. My mum's mum's dad.
Rogers Family.jpg
It was about time I changed this.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Apparently, one of my ancestors and his brothers were Christians in Bohemia, though from what I gather, they might have originally been Jews. Anyway, my ancestor got into a fight with the local lord and threw a piece of meat on his wife. Then they had to run away, and they came to travel around the region, until they came to a Jewish community, where they converted to Judaism and married the rabbi's daughters. That ancestor of mine died in 1850, and is my oldest confirmed ancestor.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Right, a bit of family history.

There once was a man in catalunya, he had been an officer, and I think he fought in the Rif war. we're talking late ninteenth century here. He lived in a town called les pueyes, the girls, a small agricultural hamlet that is, according historians, older than print. He had this kid, Modesto, who was apparently a lively fellow; he drew beautifully and played music with friends, and he was a youth around the turn of the century, having being born, I think, around 1890. He was, however, the youngest of the family, and Catalunya had this cultural tradition of eldest son takes all. He didn't like his older brother, apparently, and he felt that if he were to live under him he'd eventually punch his face in, since Modesto was much larger than him [yeah, apparently being large and short-tempered goes in the family for me]. Anyway he and two good friends decided to make for the Americas. They went to the harbor in Barcelona and, upon seeing the sea, one of them chickened out, apparently saying something like "that's too much water, no way I'm getting in there" and turning back. Modesto, however, hopped in the ship and set sail. He arrived in Argentina but, finding little prospects there, went on to Santiago became a moderately successful bourgeois there, working and eventually owning a vegetable stand and then a sole shop [you know, a place where soles, the things on the bottom of shoes, are made and sold].

Juana, a youth during the depression years, worked for her father in his bazaar, where all sorts of stuff was sold. Her father as a Spanish immigrant and quickly made friends with modesto, who courted her for like five years. she was oblivious to this, and continued to work and accrue a bit of capital by selling trinkets alongside the store's merchandise. Eventually she realized Modesto's interest in her, they married, and had four kids in five years. Shortly thereafter, Modesto dies leaving her a widow with four baby boys and no means to support them other than to rent the shop and live in a house partially paid for with her youth earnings. She managed to pull it out in the end; three of her children went on to become moderately wealthy professionals and one died fighting against the Pinochet dictatorship, killed cowardly in his house by the DINA [Pinochet's equivalent to the gestapo]. he had his hands up, according to bullet trajectory autopsy reports; to this day there's a criminal charge against his murderers, and plenty of activities to commemorate his and other compañeros' deaths. He was my father's brother.

My mother, on the other hand, comes from a long line of professional men: an engineer herself, her father was a doctor, a politician and a doctor's son. descended from a family of small time aristocrats in 1850 Santiago on one hand, and saltpeter railroad workers on the other, that line of the family has always been into art, music, philosophy, history, science, literature, and all that good stuff.

Eventually they got married and then I came into being... or rather, they got married *because* I was gonna come into being, who knows.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Wall-o'-text time.

My mom's family is a bit odd to me, because I don't exactly know what everyone did even though I know more of the people. Anyways, most of them are from northwest Ohio, and many of them still live in the area. My maternal grandmother, Nancy, was the youngest of six girls (Hazel, Mary, Frieda, Ruth, Beatrice, and Nancy); my maternal grandfather, James, was the eldest (I think) of two or three sons. Said grandfather was married and had three daughters with his first wife, but then divorced her and married my grandmother (he was about 40, she about 28). She was a homemaker; he a worker for Ohio Bell, the telephone company. A year or so later, they had their first daughter, my aunt Nancy. My mother, Colette, came four years later, and then their third daughter, Amy, was four and a half years after that.

My dad's family comes from West Virginia, especially the southwestern coal-mining area. Both families were involved in coal mining, though the extent is a bit different. My paternal grandmother's father was one of the superintendents/directors of a mine; my grandmother, Dorothy, was their only child. My paternal grandfather's father was an actual, bonafide coal miner, and he and his wife had a son, Donald, and a daughter, Jesse-Faye. Donald and Dorothy met in college (I think?) and got married when he was 23 and she 21. He worked as a mortician in Huntington, which is on the Ohio river and right across from Ohio and about 11 kilometres or so from the Kentucky/WV border. My dad, Clyde, was born two years after their marriage; his younger brother, Curtis, was about a year and a half afterwards; his youngest brother, Melvin, was born about two and a half years later.

My paternal grandfather worked with some of the deadlier accidents in West Virginia around that time, notably the Silver Bridge collapse and Marshall University air disaster. Coincidentally, he died of a heart attack six months after the latter event. About a year and a half later, my grandmother married the man who I know as my grandfather who, at the time, was working as a science teacher in the Cabell County schools. About a year or so later, the family moved to Athens, Ohio, so he could take up a position at Ohio University.

My mom and dad met at a rifle match when he was seventeen and she about fifteen. They struck up a bit of a friendship, but it wasn't a case of "love at first sight". They went on their ways, with him graduating from high school and going to college in Missouri and Illinois (due to my grandfather being moved to universities there and him being able to enjoy free tuition stuff) while my mother graduated two years later and starting X-ray tech school.

Rather out of the blue, though, my father sent my mother a letter and began resuming correspondence with her: he had moved to Texas to work in the oilfields. She flew down to meet up with him, but then returned to Ohio; that December, however, the two of them got married in Illinois, where my grandmother and grandfather lived at the time. She was 19 and he was 21. After some moving around between Kentucky and Virginia, the two of them "settled" in Texas.

My dad was working the oilfields, and when it was a booming business, things were going well. However, around the late 1980's, the business in Texas went bust and he was out of a job. So he decided to join the Army. Eight months later, he received his first duty assignment: Honolulu, Hawaii. My mother flew out to join him and, two years later, my brother, James, and I were born.

(Notably, my mom and dad were married for about 10 years before having children. My brother and I are the only ones, fortunately.)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.