[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - What shape is he vowel space, really?

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

OK, I know this won't revolutionise phonetics, but it's been at the back of my mind for a while, and now it's ready to come out.

Most of you will point to something like and reply "it's a quadrilateral; why do you need to ask?" However, there may well be grounds for treating it as triangular; see for one argument. (There's lots other interesting stuff on that blog, btw.) Note, too, that treats vowels as mixtures of [i], [a], and [u] qualities, which fits better into a triangle than a quadrilateral.

So: Has the IPA vowel diagram, in some sort of Sapir-Whorfian subterfuge, conditioned us to a suboptimal view of the physical and auditory reality? Could the IPA thus be seen as analogous to QWERTY, in an admittedly non-obvious way?

(I highly recommend praat, too; it can become addictive. I'm still not sure why I can't produce a fully back [u] though.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:22 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

I would normally trust William Labov on these issues, and as it happens he agrees with you— the vowel space is triangular, not quadrilateral.

However, the page you linked is limited by, in effect, looking at just two speakers. Labov has examined hundreds. His Principles of Linguistic Change contains vowel charts for many of them; not all of them are as strikingly triangular as Wells and Jones. It seems more common for the bottom of the triangle to be blunt rather than sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:25 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Isn't this essentially the same thread as one you posted earlier?

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

Last edited by mèþru on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:28 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Geoff Lindsay has made an interesting proposal for conseptualising the vowel space as fundementally a space of frequencies of the first and second formants of the acoustic speech signal. He's used that as the basis for a proposal for to change the IPA vowel chart, and he arrives at an essentially triangular layout as well. Personally I like to think his view on this subject has helped me understand vowels better. You can find his proposal on his blog: http://englishspeechservices.com/blog/the-vowel-space/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:24 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Related empirical question: does anyone happen to know of languages other than Danish that contrast all four of /ɛ œ ʌ ɔ/?

For four high qualities you can look at e.g. literally anything Turkic for /i y ɯ u/ (also e.g. Scandinavian for /i y ʉ u/, or Toda for /i y ɨ u/). Finding four close-mid qualities is harder, but at least a few langs (e.g. Estonian, Selkup, Yakut) have the full /e ø ɤ o/. But four open-mid qualities is a tougher call yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:44 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Considering that the Scandinavian languages exist in a dialect continuum, perhaps Norwegian or Swedish have some dialect with similar vowels
The Wikipedia article for Swedish says that the standard dialect has /ɛ œ ɵ ɔ/, but it also says the first three are actually [ɛ̝, œ̝, ɵ̞].

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:21 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 am 
Lebom
Lebom

The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:21 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

He's actually Scottish, from what I understand from his website: https://web.archive.org/web/20080511160 ... about.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:41 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:57 am 
Lebom
Lebom

The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:03 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:57 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I reckon I've been "back" with a changed username for a few months.

Anyway, the problem I now have with [u], and back vowels generally, is that I can't seem to get a decent second formant - it jumps around between about 600 Hz and 1500 Hz. Whereas other vowels it's nice and clean. What am I suffering from?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:23 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

The triangular vowel space is quite appealing to me as someone who struggles to keep the central vowels apart. I am inclined to be swayed by the apparent method behind the placement too. Very fascinating to read. Two things struck me, how at least one language has a vowel harmony link between /a/ and the mid central and how I also can't keep bar i and unrounded u apart so it is appealing they are essentially the same thing.