zompist bboard

a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:06 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Frislander wrote:
Some Levantine Arabic varieties: short *i and *u are neutralised to schwa in stressed syllables but remain separate in unstressed syllables (for examples see Wikipedia).

Whoa, super weird! Also some theories of vowel stress and quality (e.g., Paul de Lacy's) predict that this should be impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:08 am 
Smeric
Smeric

kodé wrote:
I read a paper years ago on spontaneous nasalization. From the little I can remember, the argument was that it's related to aspiration, and IIRC both aspiration and nasalization blur the lower formants of vowels. I should probably look that paper up...

Oh wow, that sounds very interesting, thanks! Don't worry too much about finding the paper or anything for me, though. I'm awful about actually reading stuff. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

jmcd wrote:
Vijay wrote:
Machvano Vlax Romani is a variety of (Vlax) Romani formerly spoken in Mačva, Serbia but now spoken almost exclusively in the Americas (and especially in Central and South America) IIRC. In Machvano Vlax, apparently, this sound change took place (and the pronunciation of these sounds is a shibboleth of Machvano Vlax; I'm not aware of any other variety of Romani in which this particular sound change took place):

/t͡ʃʰ d͡ʒ/ > [ʈr ɖr]

I wonder how often something like that happens.
That looks like it might a backwards sound change, like when acrolectal varieties of Réunion Creole use unetymological high rounded vowels for etymological high unrounded vowels e.g. [føv] for fèv (bean).
Having researched on Picard dialect at Edinburgh University (I'm seeing my family on holiday), I have discovered that my initial impression of fev>føv being a hyperacrolectalisation is probably wrong in fact. It is likely of Picard origin, as is the case with many other longstanding features of Réunion Creole. The exact same change occurred in Picardy, where it is due to the surrounding labials.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

SoapBubbles wrote:
L'alphabētarium wrote:
Rekettye wrote:
Elector Dark wrote:
English ɡenerally has [ɻ] or [ɹ] while some dialects have [ʁ]

Which English dialects have [ʁ]???? [ɔzɛʁ zan fʁɛnʃ pipɔl]???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumbrian_Burr
It's apparently somewhat out-dated and pretty rare, though...

Someone posted on here a long time ago a link that showed that in some American dialects the /l/ is in fact shifting to uvular R in some poisitons. Its just an allophone, and /l/ is a very flexible consonant, so they still have [l], they just also have [R]. I do it myself on purpose most of the time, I have to admit, because it "feels right". e.g. /lORipOp/ for "lollipop". Basically all dark /l/ becomes [R]. One of the few downsides of having 600 conlangs to maintain without knowing a single real-world language other than my native.

This is just asking for a future chain shift of /ð/ > /d/ > /l/ > /ʁ/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:38 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Armenian /ʁ/ comes from a velarized l which was probably plain at some point in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

In Yaur, an Austronesian language, we have the change *m,n > g/_r. (cf. Kamholz 2014)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:03 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Trung (rGyalrongic? I don't think it's the same language as the Nungic Trung) apparently had z → k.
Wassu (rGyalrongic too) had ŋ → j.

(I was browsing the Index Diachronica)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8