[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - British Sitcoms

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Random Thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:00 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:04 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I like Chef!, Keeping Up Appearances and Midsomer Murders, all of whom I was introduced to by NJTV (local version of PBS). My favourite TV series is Yes, Minister, which I watched on Netflix DVDs. I rarely watch shows of any sort though.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:17 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject: British Sitcoms
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Last edited by Vijay on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:31 am 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 am 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:02 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:05 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Really? Henry seemed to be the only non-straight man in some episodes.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:45 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 am 
Smeric
Smeric

On the British comedy front: the only ones of those mentioned that I watched regularily on TV were Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister (dubbed into German, unfortunately) and Monty Python, which was on constant re-run on several German channels during my peak TV period (late 80s / early 90s), astonishingly quite often in English with subtitles, which is unusual on German TV. Then there was that pinnacle of British humour, Benny Hill, which ran on early evening TV when I was a teen. Later, I often watched Mr. Bean, which was a staple on TV and in-flight programs in many countries where I worked in the late 90s / early noughties (as was Benny Hill - wordless slapstick seems to travel well). Two more shows I remember are Rumpole of Old Bailey and the Avengers (billed in Germany as Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone - "With umbrella, charm, and bowler hat"; this is all you need to know to about German prowess at ruining show and film titles by stupid translation). You might not regard them as comedy shows, but their quaint Britishness and the fact that they contained more humour than 90% of what was called comedy on German TV at that time made lots of Germans watch them as comedies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Y'all, I forgot about Waiting for God, too! I liked that as well but probably only because of Diana. Everybody else in it kind of seems to be an annoyingly static character. I have a Benny Hill video at home (on VHS; I also have Monty Python and the The Meaning of Life on VHS) but never got around to watching it.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, trust me to forget to say something like this: I watched a couple of episodes of Yes, Minister last night. It reminds me of The Death of Yugoslavia. There was so much diplomatic drama behind all that war and genocide!

Post subject: Re: British Sitcoms
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:18 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

My god, this thread is a total trip down memory lane for me. I remember most of the British sitcoms of the 80s, 90s and early 00s. Surprised there's been no mention of Rab C Nesbitt or The League of Gentlemen.

On the other hand, the early-to-mid 90s had a veritable slew of minor sitcoms that only lasted one or two series that unsurprisingly haven't been mentioned:

Chalk, written by Steven Moffat (of Doctor Who fame), was a sitcom from the late 90s set in a secondary school. It bombed with the critics, but I always enjoyed it (the scene where a teenage boy is told that his mother has "looked under his mattress" and is predictably horrified sticks in the mind). It also had Nicola Walker in it, and she's amazing.

Men of the World happened in the early 90s and featured a young John Simm. It was set in a travel agency in Manchester, and that's all I can really remember about it.

The High Life - mid-90s I think. Starred Alan Cumming before he got famous, premise was two camp air stewards flying for Air Scotia. Funnier than it sounds.

Game On - I remember this being hilarious when I was a teenager, but re-watched a few episodes a while ago and failed to see the point.

Britcom trivia: Waiting for God's Christmas Special was filmed at the church next door to my old school (you can see it intermittently from 13:50 onwards). Additionally, the external shots of Victor Meldrew's house in One Foot in the Grave were actually the childhood home of my husband's best friend. During the famous scene where Richard Wilson is buried up to his neck in the back garden, my husband was actually present on the other side of the camera.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I should've known Hyacinth's relatives were Northerners. "I'm going to be a [nʊn]!"

Oh, and I keep remembering and then forgetting another British sitcom no one has mentioned yet but that I found via YouTube, thanks to a certain Chinese guy from Italy linguoboy also knows: Mind Your Language. Chock-full of stereotypes and perhaps not that interesting as a comedy, but some of the linguistic and cultural interchanges are hilarious, like Zoltán's first appearance on the show.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:03 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:41 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:51 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

When I first read the first few posts of this thread, I thought to myself "hmmmm, I've watched a bunch of British shows, but none of them were sitcoms. Oh, Little Britain! No wait, that's not a sitcom." But when I kept reading I found several I used to watch.

Mr. Bean - It was funny back then, but I second the Pole's comment about one's brain crawling backwards :-D
'Allo 'Allo - I like this, but it was hard to follow if you missed an episode
Fawlty Towers - I enjoyed this back then, but now I can't stand it
Absolutely Fabulous - The best one of these
The Vicar of Dibley - This show has like a warm aura, which is probably why Vijay's dad thinks it's girly
Keeping Up Appearances - Yeah, seeing it on TV now makes me realize that it's not actually that good

Does Queer as Folk count as a sitcom? I remember there being some bits in it that were kinda like a sitcom.

My most recent quiz: