[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Non-Biblical religious/spiritual literature

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Inspired by the "Translations of the Bible" thread: What kinds of religious or spiritual literature other than the Bible (if any) do you have?

My own is limited to this little kids' book called The Amazing Adventures of Hanuman, an edition of with a cover that looks slightly different because it's newer, a few poems by Ovid, Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland, and a lot of (which very often includes Indian religious literature) and (which also occasionally includes various kinds of religious myths, legends, etc. from all over the world).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:20 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

How are you defining "religious or spiritual" here? Why does Ovid qualify?

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:44 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

My books are a mile away right now, but from memory I have the Quran, a Passover Haggadah, the Dao De Jing, and (abridged versions of) the Rigveda and the Mahabharata.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:01 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:01 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

If we're counting any story with superhuman characters in it, I have a copy of The Silmarillion... and a lot of other fantasy novels too.

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:50 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Only thing I can add is Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, which I read about 20 years ago, but still remember in fairly rich detail. It helped me come to my current religious viewpoint of believing in God without believing in (or caring about) the factual accuracy of any particular religion or its scripture. It helped me accept that people who undergo spiritual rebirth do not automatically become sinless selfless superhuman beings, and that someone who has seemingly lapsed ... be it myself or someone else .... does not need to start all over again from a worse position than before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:22 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I forgot to mention that I have and . I also forgot that I have this Taiwanese cartoon version of Zhuang Zi Shuo (with the original Classical Chinese text at the bottom of each page) and two Singaporean Chinese cartoon books about Confucius and I think Jataka tales.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Mythology by Edith Hamilton (mainly Greek, some Roman and Nordic)
Celtic Myths and Legends by Peter Berresford Ellis (Irish, Manx, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and Breton folktales and mythology)

Not sure if it counts:
Kalevala (1954 Harvard translation by Francis Peabody Magoun)

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:30 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I just added the Book of Mormon to my personal collection. The infuriating part is that I had to order it online, even though there's an LDS church two blocks from my home, since they don't have it in English.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Currently the Tarka Samgraha is the only original text I have in my possession. I also have Classical Indian Metaphysics by Stephen Phillips. Back home: I have a volume called Early Taoist Texts. From the new religious movements, I have the Laws of Form by George Spencer-Brown. Wish I'd brought that one with me. I also have many, many Qurans, variously translated into many languages, untranslated, unabridged, abridged, and simplified, as if it needed further simplification. You know how those Qurans keep piling up. I don't like them. Like Shakespeare, the Quran was meant to be performed. My mother did her thesis on the Vaishnava Padavali, so we have that, of course. (Take that, cultural separatists!) I remember having a very nice Zen book whose name I'd have to look up. I have Plato's Dialogues, which Neoplatonists counted as religious. What else? Most people would not count this as a sacred text, but I also have the Road to Reality by Penrose, the central text of my personal "religion", so I brought it with me. That's all I can remember.

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I could probably just tell you a lot of (the stories from) the Mahabharata from memory.