[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - The mistakes you've made

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:21 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Location: GOD Party Headquarters (temporarily); Inagalasi (pala sapikusanide Inagalasifi; otorofe)

Sapikenak-atabin inagalas?fi? Nofi? Lanarusen [url=spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=1826]retani[/url]!

GUDA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:43 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:04 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:57 am 
Niš
Niš

For some weird reason I just can't get my Mandarin accent right, and according to my Spanish teacher my Spanish is awfully accented though I can't really tell myself whether she is just joking :P .

Just before I was watching a game at the of Rugby Sevens between Argentina and Australia. The commentator was British (even though it's being hosted in Wellington, New Zealand) and was pronouncing the players' names in a Spanish Spanish way, i.e. some guy Gomez he pronounced Gomezth, even though it isn't pronounced like that in Latin America where Gomez came from. (ARGENTINA WON, BTW, Y SON LOS GANADORES, VIVEN LAS PUMAS ! :D )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:32 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:55 pm 
Niš
Niš

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:05 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:07 am 
Sanci
Sanci

(And, speaking of mistakes, that should be sgìth, not sgíth.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:36 pm 
Niš
Niš

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:17 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I was in Spanish class, a while ago, and we were talking about directions, including left and right. Well, sitting in the back of class, my mind had drifted off to Welsh, and when my teacher asked me how to pronounce "derecha", I mistakenly said /dereXa/. I have also been known to answer "hai" instead of "sí".

Another confusion between Welsh and Spanish:

calle /caje/=street, Spanish
caeau /cajE/ (according to an older Welsh book I have, which mixed up the Interrogative and Affirmative Present forms)=fields, Welsh

So when we talked about directions, people would say "el calle de ____", and immediately into my head would pop "____'s fields".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:48 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:29 am 
Niš
Niš

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:58 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:10 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:57 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

The other day, my mind wandered, and I discovered I had constructed a sentence including words from Japanese, Spanish, and Gothic. But I can't remember what it was that I actually said, which almost bothers me even more...:evil:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:11 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Wow, I hadn't even noticed that this had been marked for preservation.

Truth be told, I'm actually a little embarassed by the sheer silly amateurishness of my German in all of my posts.

But I do now recall something from my collegiate study of German (which went only a little better than my high school attempt).

It wasn't a mistake I made, remarkably, but I noticed that the dative gives new learners absolute fits. Any sentence in involving indirect objects tended to have zu jammed in before the indirect object. Which isn't unexpected given the parallel construction in English, but I remember finding it suprising that while I still occasionally gaffed with the accusative, I seldom had problems with the dative.

I am also reminded of a strange little error I once made in Japanese class. I don't remember what the context was, but in the course of a dialogue with a partner, for some reason I pronounced hon 'book' as [hA~] instead of /hOn=/ (which probably isn't correct either, but it's what I usually said).

I had also developed an occasional strange habit of using ga almost as if it were a copula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:51 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:05 pm 
Niš
Niš

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:45 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Our spanish teachers and books utterly failed to tell us that <b> and <v> are both /b/ [b B], with the exception of telling us that <veinte> is [beInti], which is likely wrong anyway. They also made no mention of <d> [D]. Or the various pronunciations of <c>, <ll>, and <y> (which I determined, from listening to native Spanish speakers, to be /k s (T)/, /j/, and /j\/, respectively).

EDIT: Eep, sorry, forgot to turn off HTML.

Last edited by AudiblySilenced on Sun May 07, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:08 pm 
Niš
Niš

Yeah, there's a ton of variation in how Spanish speakers pronounce <y>--most neutrally it would be [j\]. And <ll> is pronounced the same in most dialects--the exceptions are areas that are bilingual with a language that does have /L/, and a few other scattered dialects.

And that textbook really is crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:52 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:31 pm 
Niš
Niš

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:26 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:08 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I've been taking French for the past 4 years, and only just started German, so naturally I've started to slap French into German. Just a few days ago, I (incorrectly) attempted to say I want to work as "Ich wolle arbeiter." It took me a good, long minute to realize that I had added the French -er to Arbeit, leaving me with Freutsch. Joy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:29 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I keep wanting to use Japanese particles out of context. For example, I found myself the other day wanting to say put the object of poner in Spanish before the verb and link to it with (w)o.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next