[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Conlingual Telephone

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Conlingual Telephone
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Done and sent. Finally. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Has this been forgotten about? I'm really curious to see the results...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:28 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Let's keep bumping it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Well, finlay, you said you sent it, so it should be at Zayk's. If he doesn't respond by tomorrow, I'll PM him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Check the previous page – Zayk said he couldn't do it anymore so I've sent it to Zoris. Ask him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:41 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:13 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by makvas on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:38 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Hey, Zoris, could you edit that message and erase the texts? I don't want anyone to see them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:21 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Well, I don't know how to add the results to the KneeQuickie, so if I compile them, can someone else do the page?

Also: I'm sorry this didn't go as smoothly as expected. I was actually pretty rubbish as an organizer. Sorry, but I hope you had fun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:26 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:35 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Has there been any compiling?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

We're getting on for four months now. This is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Rise from the grave!

(I just noticed the other telephone thread died, found this instead)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:22 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Hell yeah! Thanks a lot, Lyhoko, and sorry for the enormous amount of time it took. But it was kinda fun, I think.
And the KneeQuickie is up! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:09 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

I've added the translation of my Tmaśareʔ text to the page, which didn't seem to have made it to Lyhoko. (By the way, an interlinear gloss is available .)

Seems like I'm responsible for most of the "different feel" of the final text. In part, this is due to me not trying to translate literally, but to re-tell the story from the point of view of my conculture. Some of the differences, however (notably the boats appearing out of nowhere), resulted from errors in trying to make sense of the multi-purpose agreement markers in Kannow, many of which can refer to three or more different noun classes in different cases and numbers. When this is combined with an almost verb-only syntax and a pro-drop style of writing, as in some parts of Nortaneous' text, it can get confusing quickly: For example, I parsed the word kròrògomps as krò-ròg-o-mb-s "they:4/6.were.housed.by.it/them:7", where the items referenced by noun classes 4 or 6 could be "4: swim animals, things in sea/rel. to water, legal terms, abstract, city" or "6: dead/rotting/broken things, some supernatural (usu. evil)+abstract", and the item referenced by noun class 7 (and thus, because the morpheme is a nominalizer, by the verb form as a whole) would be 7: containers, pottery, meat, tools, other manmade. All of these items appeared to be non-overt, i.e. not present as independent nouns, and so I had to make a choice for the Tmaśareʔ version. "Things in sea/rel. to water" thus became "boats", and "manmade container" became "harbor". Seeing Nort's English translation now, it seems that my Tmaśareʔ version was actually quite accurate semantically, but I used a locative phrase ~"boats in the harbor" where Kannow had something like "boat-housing [place]"...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

On another note, is anyone interested in another conlingual telephone? The text will probably be a short one, (The one that wasn't chosen for PGT XV) if I end up picking it at least.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:40 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7