[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Polysynthesis for Novices

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Whimemsz on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:24 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

3 - Polypersonal Agreement

"Polypersonal agreement" means that a verb marks multiple core arguments. To oversimplify for a moment, this basically means that both the subject and object of a clause are marked on the verb. Different languages will distinguish different characteristics that are marked--person, number, gender, and so on--but usually the 'case' (or the grammatical role) of each participant is made clear in some way, via verbal prefixes and/or suffixes.

Everyone here will already be familiar with a language that mark verbs for at least one core participant: even English does so marginally (e.g., the suffix -s in drink-s marks that the subject of the verb is third person singular). Romance languages, which will be familiar to most people here, provides a somewhat better example, with verbs marking the person and number of their subject by means of suffixes (which also mark tense, aspect, and mood (TAM)), as in Spanish habl-o, habl-as, habl-a, habl-amos, habl-ais, habl-an ("speak" with the present indicative suffixes marking the subject as, respectively, 1sg, 2sg, 3sg, 1pl, 2pl, 3pl).

Polysynthetic languages, then, simply extend this type of marking further, and verbs mark both the subject and object (again, this is oversimplifying, we'll get to complications later). For example, take the verb rikapani "he sees him/it". This breaks down as ri-kapa-ni, "he(subj)-see-him(obj)" (or, more accurately: 3sg.NONFEM.SUBJ-see-3sg.NONFEM.OBJ). As you can see, the verb marks the gender (non-feminine), number (singular), person (third), and grammatical role (subject or object) of each argument of the verb.

Not all polysynthetic languages have separate affixes for subjects and objects, however. In many cases the morphemes are partly or entirely fused together, such that a single affix marks the person, number, etc. of both subject and object. A good example is the Iroquoian languages. For instance, the verbal prefix she- marks both that the subject is second person and that the object is plural, as in ëshéo:wi’ (FUT-2SUBJ/pl.OBJ-tell-PUNCTUAL), "you will tell them." For another example, consider the Cariban language , where w- indicates a first person subject and third person object, while y- indicates a third person subject and first person object. Thus, contrast wedanta, "I meet him/her", with yedanta, "s/he meets me."

Finally, note that in many cases polysynthetic languages can mark more than just two participants on the verb. Some other roles that can be indicated include benefactives, indirect objects, and so on. Take, for example, : dbə̀ltart˚’ (d-bə̀-l-ta-rt˚’ = 3sg.MASC.OBJ-2sg.INDIRECT.OBJ-3sg.FEM.SUBJ-give-PURP), "she gives him to you."

A Big Caveat

As I've emphasized a few times, this is a very simplistic overview, and the description above glosses over some important stuff. Here's the main qualification: I've been talking about "subjects" and "objects," but not all languages divide up verb arguments that way. Very basically, languages like English treat the subject of intransitive sentences the same as the subject of transitive sentences, and different from the object of transitive sentences. Languages like English are called "accusative." But many languages treat the subject of intransitive sentences the same as the object of transitive sentences, and differently from the subject of transitive sentences; languages of this type are called "ergative." Some languages are ergative in some places (say, only with third person arguments, or only the perfective aspect) and accusative in others (this is called "split ergativity"). Some languages mark the subject of an intransitive sentence differently depending on whether it is viewed as controlling or instigating the action (in verbs like "jump") or not (in verbs like "sneeze" or "fall down" or "be tall"); languages of this type are called "active", among other names. And so on and so on. So although I've only mentioned "subjects" and "objects" in the above discussion, treating all the languages mentioned as though they were accusative like English, the truth is far more complicated, and you'll need to think about what alignment system you want your conlang to have (there's a quick overview of all this in the , though unfortunately Sander's diagrams seem to have disappeared with the passing of years...).

Last edited by Whimemsz on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Whimemsz on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Whimemsz on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

I haven't read through this yet, but you are an awesome person for doing this, Whim.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:47 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

My conlang Squalipsh is mildly influenced by Wakashan languages, but currently, its form is not polysynthetic. I'm very interested in reading more, so I can learn how polysynthetic languages work, as I might make Squalipsh polysynthetic in some way.

Taisc mach Daró

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:05 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

you
are
a
god.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:49 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I am very much pleased to see this, and I look forward to seeing it completed. In particular the section on how polysynthesis arises, as I am currently actively working on just that in a conlang and there's a lot in that area that I'd like to be more certain of.

As you know I've also offered to write a section or two to help take some of the load off, and one of those is waiting in your inbox.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:43 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Excellent! I find the noun incorporation type section especially useful :)

Haven't read through all the case studies yet, but I will soon. Having the necessary information gathered together in one place like this makes trying to make a polysynth conlang much less intimidating!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:02 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Haven't read it yet, but great job. It seems really complete, useful and it must have taken a lot of work to do, so thanks. Definitely going to read this soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

This is awesome.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next sections.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

On noun incorporation:

Is it typically equally productive with all verbs, or is it usually restricted - or more common with - a subset of verbs? (the latter seems to be the case, sort of, with Yup'ik postbases.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:52 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:53 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:05 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

ROCK'N'ROLL!

This is just so ... awesome. Thank you, Whimemsz!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:02 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Awesome!

What are some techniques for analyzing word boundaries? How do you tell the difference between a polysynthetic language and a less-synthetic language written without spaces?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:45 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Whimemsz on Tue May 15, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Question: if a nominal participant is incorporated, how do polysynthetic languages tag a relative clause onto it? I mean, if "Mom gave me milk" is expressed something like "Mom milk-me-gave," what about "Mom gave me the milk that she bought at the supermarket"?

And kudos for the thread. Love it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next